CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anybody ever repair a dented tank?

Motobeagle

Don't ask, bad night.

I ended up with a 3 inch dent in my tank. I was about to have the bike repainted, and now I'm just curious to how much more it's going to run me.

Can this be fixed easily? No punctures, and it fell on a plastic tool box, so there's no paint damage. Thanks

Buddy of mine used an automotive, "Paintless Dent remover" guy. Also called dent wizard.

Try calling a used car lot and ask them who does their ding repairs. Not sure air will work as I'm very certain the tank is double walled.

Can't remember what year your bike is, but I have a second tank for a carbie bird.

The tanks are single walled, but are pretty tough. It is possible to do paintless dent repair on them, but it will depend on where the dent is located. I repainted my bike last year and had to fix a dent in the tank also. I pulled the fuel pump out for access so they could get in with the tools, but the PDR guy said he had a hell of a time working the dent. The dent 1" x 2", but it was in a harder spot to reach.

Ok, here is a Polish way, that a friend of mine used on his Katana 1100.

The tank had a dent on the top. He bought I think 2LBS of green peas - dry ! He filled up the tank with them and then poured water....

Not sure how long he left it like that, but the peas swelled and pushed the dent out. He had lot of cleaning to do, though.... :twisted:

Cheers,

P.S. As was said before I'd try the dent busters....