CBR1100XX.org Forum

spacer difference

CasterTroy

I installed the 6mm spacer when I dropped my stock rear shock and replaced it with a 95 CBR900RR shock with an Eibach 1000 lb spring with collar from LE engineering, as well as 1.01 fork springs and spacers/shims from race tech last weekend.

The difference was dramatic

MASSIVE in fact and for under $300 total cost ($50 shock, $120 Eibach spring, $99 race tech fork springs) my bike now handles so well it's not even FUNNY!

It DOES however sit a great deal higher and lean over a great deal more on the side stand than before.

So much so I'd though I'd provide you guys with some before and after shots.

Here is the resting hight before

bird067.jpg

And here id what the spacer did for jacking the rear

bird098.jpg

If you can't tell right off...look at the angle of the swingarm proportial to the bike chassis as well as how the bike now leans on the side stand

Still can't see it?

OK here is some help

bird099.jpg

notice how the foot peg in the before is in the rim line, and how NOW it's well up into the tire

This has no ADVERSE effect, but it does however cause the bike to now fall over into turns as opposed to needing to be nudged a little

The suspension I feared would cause the bike to ride more harshly....afterall, I BOUGHT the bike because I was tired of the rack and race ready suspension of my extremely modified TLR and wanted a barco -lounger

Once I GOT the bird, I was rather dissapointed in it's TOO lush suspension and how in a set of twisties I like to ride, it would wallow mid corner like an early 90's caddy with air suspension

SOFT yes, COMFY yes...but I felt like I was in uncle bucks 79 ltd that kept bouncing well after the bump

My WORST fear was the stiffer suspension would jar my kidneys over bumps

The opposite is true. Bumps that USE to jar the bike even with the mushy suspension are now TOTALLY absorbed, as the suspension now does what it's SUPPOSED to

Corners are now molested like Micheal Jackson at a chucky cheese holding the door key

The bike soars thru corners now with absolutely no wallowing and excellent traction

However...when I assembled the spring on the 900RR shock the preload slipped up to 3 by mistake and when I hammered it on this one apex in a tight corner the rear walked a few feet. But I kept on the gas and "Rossi'd" my way out of it safely (noone there to see this feat of motorcycling excellence either...grrrrr)

Anyway...took the spanner wrench I got when I recieved my progressive shocks for my CB750 and adjusted the preload in 2 seconds and proceeded to tear the rest of the roads up without fear

The benefits of this are overwhelming!

Just the fact that preload can be adjusted with a little tool I can carry with me and 2 seconds of my time is enough to make this worth it for ME....but the incredible change in bike geometry and excellent handling improvement has just been AWESOME

For $300 I don't think I've EVER done anything more benficial to ANY bike I've owned

Nice write up! All I've done is shim the rear, may have to do the rest now!

Corners are now molested like Micheal Jackson at a chucky cheese holding the door key

This cracked me up so much I have to nominate it for QOTW!

:pointup:

Thanks guys

Yeah the Azaelias look so much better in bloom. ESPECIALLY the red ones :wink:

Did these mods cause any problem with chain adjustment and/or chain rubbing?

Yes..unfortunatly

It cause the chain to scrape the center stand when it was unloaded (i.e. rolling it around in the garage)

solution? never roll it around without being on it, or just take it off

I took it off

I have pit bull stands so it's not that big a deal

Guest majic1
stock rear shock and replaced it with a 95 CBR900RR shock with an Eibach 1000 lb spring with collar from LE engineering

Looking to do this on my '03, will this shock fit?

Thanks,

Ed