CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chains may not be what they seem!

XXTi

I bought the Honda chain kit with the DID 50 ZVS chain a few weeks ago and all was well. The chain and sprockets went on perfectly. The problem started when I screwed up the rivet on the master link. It looked like the "No Good" pic of the chain rivet in the service manual.

Ever the dauntless mechanic, I ordered a new master link from our friends at Honda. Unfortunately, the OEM master link is on backorder from Honda and seems to be totally unavailable. The dealer called tech support for a substitute part number and they were told to substitute a DID 50 ZVM link.

I got the 50ZVM master link and went merrily home to get my bike ready for the MegaXXT meet in ESA. I put the link in and it completely locked up the adjacent links. I think "Well shit I fucked up the installation" so I searched the NE OK area and found another 50 ZVM link about 70 miles from me.

I ran over and picked the link up this AM and very carefully installed it. The links were locked up again! :evil: :evil: After some careful measuring, it seems the ZMV link pins are 0.005 larger in diameter than the ZVS link pins. The 0.210 ZVM link pins are a press fit in my 0.208 ZVS chain link holes. The ZVS pins measure 0.205.

Of course the ZVS link is still on backorder from Honda. Does anyone have a clue where I might find a 50 ZVS master link? Ron Ayers and Service Honda don't have any in stock.

If you have a 50ZVS Master link, I would love to have it. The 50ZVM just won't work. PM me please with details.

There, except for the grace of God and a wise mechanic go I...

Almost did the same thing, the lunkhead at the local stealership all said "um...yeah, we got lots of masterlinks--anyone will work". Since I needed some other farkles, I stuck one in my order from MAW. The rep there said that without a doubt that the links were series specific, with different pin diameters. When you think about it, it makes sense--look at the tensile strengths of the different chain models within the 530 series.

Hope you find one in time.

XXera came through in a pinch. The ZVS master link he sent me will fit perfectly.

It still baffles me why Honda/DID would bother to make to chains so similar but different. (0.205 vs 0.210 master link pins) Maybe DID beefed up the pins when they brought out the ZVM.

Anyway, thanks again Ronnie!!! The members of this forum never cease to amaze me with their willingness to help.

MAybe I did the same thing???????????????

I closely looked at the chain links I had dropped from the 120 link chain I bought. They say 50 VM on the side of the links.

So I check the (from memory) DID ZVM 530 chain master link I just ordered and the link kit says 50 ZVM (ZJ).........

but they don't seem to "go together", on the 50 VM chain I have , like they should.

So I'm looking at the Invoice for the chain, It says:

DID VM series Premium X-Ring - 530 VM.

So am I looking for a different MAster link again?

How did I screw the pooch here?

-Suf Daddy

You need a master link that matches your chain. The old bullshit of "this one should work" got me in trouble. I'll never go for it again. If your chain is a VM, I'd go for the VM master link.

Good luck!

I'm bummed I didn't pick up on this before now.

With all the crossreferencing on the box and the SPECIFIC instructions to Kneedraggers.com about my application I ordered a new ZVM from White Buffalo Racing. I'll sell the cut down 110 and riveted link, (530 VM - up to "1000cc's") on Ebay.com

Now I have 3 ZVM (ZJ) master links and a ZVM cahin on the way.

At least I'll feel safer and if I ever sell, I'll be doing both owners a favor by putting the correct application chain on.

-Suf Daddy