CBR1100XX.org Forum

brake light not working, but tail light is

shadowbird

Today during a group ride, the guy following me informed me that my brake light was not working. It was working in the morning before I took off, but must have failed during the ride. After checking into it, the tail light works, and so does everything else on that fuse. What could cause the brake light not to illuminate?

I assume it is an easy fix, the hardest part will be taking the heat from the Busa's who were telling me what a piece of shit Hondas are. :lol: They suggested that during the ride my bike just may spontaneously fall apart. :roll:

Thanks in advance for the help.

There's this little piece of wire inside the bulb, called a fillament, that might have burned out. :razz:

If I were you, I'd

Sell the bike!!!

Or you could just buy another lightbulb. :razz:

Ok, if it's not a blown bulb:

If you really wanted to, you can check to see if it's got power first, by taking an electrical meter to the socket and seeing if you've got juice first.

If it's not getting juice, then you should probably work back from the switch with your meter and see where the power is dropping off.

My money is on the bulb. And tell your busa friends at least the whole back end of the bike didn't fall off, and it didn't catch fire.

Is it not working from either switch?

There is a switch on the front lever, as well as above the foot lever. If it doesn't work from either, then it's a wiring problem, or both bulbs have blown.

Strange to have both bulbs go at once, but it's possible.

I checked both of the bulbs, and they do not appear to be burnt out.

Neither the hand or foot brake will activate the brake light.

What I don't get is the "always on" tail light is working, just not the brake light. So I am assuming that power is getting there, but I have not hooked it up and checked, that is on the menu for today. I will also try and replace the bulbs.

Yesterday I even got an attempted slam from a Buell rider :shock: Who was supposed to be leading the ride, but had a broken clutch cable, and "other ailments" and could not even make the ride. Kinda makes ya feel good when the only thing that they get a chance to rail ya about is a funky brake light. Hey if that's my only problem, I got it made :cool:

Check your switches at both the handle bar and the pedal. Go back to the connection near that switch and check for power on one side, and then check the resistance of the switch there.

After testing the system, I have located the problem. It appears the spring for the switch for the rear foot brake was not seated properly, and this was causing the brake light to remain on. This overheated the socket, which melted part of both sockets.

The sockets, however, are not a commonly carried part, and the part won't be here until the middle of next week. :twisted: Which sucks 'cause I had a couple of great rides planned this weekend, and I am hesitant to ride with inoperable brake light.

Thanks for the help from the board. This turned out being more of a pain in the ass for such a simple problem.

Ride on and ride safe.

Were you using stock bulbs or those halogen ones?

I can't believe just because the brake lights were always on the sockets melted.

Check your chargeing system and make sure you're not dumping 18 volts into it like I was once. :roll: I was blowing headlight bulbs and fan fuses. Glad that was all.

Just stock bulbs. And not the whole socket was melted, just a couple of the tabs on each one. I guess that it caused more damage than I could see within the socket, but I didn't take them apart. I wanted to keep the tail light working for my drive home.

But it weren't no high speed run that day. In fact it was lots of slow and twisty stuff. Which is good, I got the nice sweepers down, now I just gotta keep those 600's in sight so I can get 'em once it straightens out. :cool: