CBR1100XX.org Forum

chain lift device

OMG

Tapping the collective genius here. I need to move some large rock.

Years ago I bought tons of rock for a mansion. The man I bought it from had a way of picking up large pieces ( 1/2 ton+ ) with a chain apparatus.

He would throw the chain over a rock and hook on to it anywhere and lifting the chain would tighten it round the rock and hold it secure. Setting it would allow the chain to go slack.

As I recall the chain had rings that allowed the chain to slide thru and I believe it had three sides or lengths.

He is long since gone so I can't ask him. Any ideas?

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:16 PM, OMG said:

Tapping the collective genius here. I need to move some large rock.

Years ago I bought tons of rock for a mansion. The man I bought it from had a way of picking up large pieces ( 1/2 ton+ ) with a chain apparatus.

He would throw the chain over a rock and hook on to it anywhere and lifting the chain would tighten it round the rock and hold it secure. Setting it would allow the chain to go slack.

As I recall the chain had rings that allowed the chain to slide thru and I believe it had three sides or lengths.

He is long since gone so I can't ask him. Any ideas?

You are looking for a rock sling... more importantly you are looking for a Tsumura (yes its a real word) sling.

might have to make your own, not very hard to do if you got some chain, a cut off wheel and some basic screw connectors

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.forrex.org/sites/default/files/publications/articles/streamline_vol2_no3_art7.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjloeaemNzRAhVC2mMKHaxaAYAQFgg2MAE&usg=AFQjCNHc2hGhQLug2b7ePCoAGwJlQPmSzQ&sig2=gq1ETpUWud3UUz9bFmGTiQ

This is what i was talking about.. 

We normally use equipment to move our boulders but sometimes you must use a crane. 

Had an order once for 1000 boulders at 6 to 8 tons each... 

my grandfather, a landscaper used a wooden tri-pod (some were bamboo from his yard) with a come-along to do the lifting.  rather than the chain device posted above, he'd use a single chain which could get a surprisingly good bite on uneven rocks.  key to this is using the hook that grabs the individual chain link in the diagram link above.  to move rocks, he built a low & flat cart using 3 rollers (think the wide one's used with a table saw for long pieces), the middle one a bit lower than the others so it's easy to pivot the entire cart.  nice thing too about rollers, you can lay a plank over uneven ground and easily roll that cart.

wish i had more pics from my teens, working with grandpa...  this i found on google (tripod to lift rocks).

tripod-hoist-rock.jpg

there are a lot of wheeled carts, fine if you are on hard even ground (girl notwithstanding...)

heavy-rock-boulder-lifter-for-garden-landscaping.jpg

Edited by ptxyz
  • Upvote 1