CBR1100XX.org Forum

Really really good deal on a 98 VFR (can see it now)

• photo-thumb-3828.jpg?_r=1409356212
  • Members++
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 16,282 posts
  • 2014ES (Gen III) N. America

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:02 AM

Turn key, ultra-reliable SPORT touring at its finest, and on a low, low budget!

007.jpg

1998 Honda VFR800Fi - A very clean example of the legendary 5th Generation of Honda VFRs. These are the ones you want. The pre-Y2k 5th Gens ('98 & '99) came with fuel injection but without cats or O2 sensors, so no lean surge issues.

Famous Gear driven cams produce an addictive gear whine, 6 speed close ratio gearbox, over 100 hp and only ~500 lbs makes it nimble for an ST bike.

FYI... It is definitely flame red all over. The sunlight was playing games with my digital camera and makes some of it look orange in places. It is NOT orange anywhere.

Key mods include:
HeliBars for a bit less forward lean (I also have the stock VFR bars)
Givi Touring Windshield (also have stock windshield)
Footpeg lowering blocks (easily removed)
Rick's Electrosport brand, MOSFET Regulator Rectifier upgrade for improved battery charging and reliability (I also have 2 of the stock ones, but they are a known weak point on these bikes)
Datel Digital Battery / Charging Voltmeter (installed in the right side of dash)
Y2k style VFR mirrors and SW Motech mirror wideners, so you can see more than your elbows behind you.
Second Look Tank Bra (paint is perfect underneath)Battery tender cable (can also be used to power a tank bag)

Luggage:
Givi SR Trunk Mount and E450 top case
Givi Tubular Pannier Racks and E36 side cases
All hard cases are locking, and quick release.
The Pannier racks can be removed or installed in about 10 minutes with a couple of tools.
I also have a small soft tail pack that mounts quickly on the Trunk mount, which is nice for day rides.
Bags Connection tank ring is installed, but no tank bag as I have all of my electronics installed in mine and use it on my other bikes.
Have original Owners Manual and Factory Service manual.

This bike in not a show piece. It has been ridden well and has logged 30k carefree miles, which works out to less than 2k miles per year, pretty low for its age. But it has not been thrashed, or neglected, and is in very good operating condition It does have a few minor scrapes and scuffs on the plastics as might be expected on a bike of this age that wasn't a garage queen. The tank's paint is very good with no dings or scratches.

Mechanically it is extremely sound, and runs and rides perfectly. I just performed the 30k mile maintenance, including the (expensive) Valve Clearance Check and valves all are still in spec from the factory (I also did the first one back at 15k miles). Drained and refilled coolant, changed spark plugs with new NGK IX iridiums, as well as all normal oil change/ lubrication items. I've been running Mobil1 15W50 synthetic oil in it and it doesn't burn a drop between the 5k mile changes. Drive chain and sprockets are in good shape.

Tires are a set of Shinko Ravens and about 1/2 worn. Should last about another 4-5k miles. If a buyer wanted to buy some new rubber for the bike I'll gladly spoon them on and balance them for you for free.

It just passed the NH State Inspection with absolutely no problems

I would not hesitate to jump on this bike and make a cross country road trip with no reservations. It is as reliable a small Sport Touring bike as there is out there, and much sportier to ride than many of the bigger ones. But it is currently my 3rd bike in the garage and is not getting enough saddle time to justify keeping it hostage any longer.

Drop me a PM with your contact info, or any questions, and I'll respond promptly to any legitimate questions or offers. Bike can be shown most anytime as I work out of my home. Test rides only happening with cash in my hand.

Asking for $2650, firm, as shown. That price is more than fair. Would be willing to negotiate to a slightly lower price for including none of the hard luggage. But believe me, if you are intending on doing any touring, even if only for a weekend up in the mountains, you will want those cases.

I would also consider a trade for a capable dual sport in the 400-650cc range of equal value (especially the orange ones) but others would be considered.

Click here for a 35 photo slideshow of current photos.

-Fred W nerd.gif <---- (Click me!) We're just getting started... VisitedStatesMapIcon.jpg

• 3 weeks later...