CBR1100XX.org Forum

Major or Minor worry

TeXTrain99

Last April I had a crash. Tucked the front end at about 20mph. Broke off the right peg, rashed the lower right fairing, scratched the right mirror housing. I rode the bike home, slapped a peg on it and then later that week rode it to Austin for MotoGp. Been riding it ever since. Commuting, TeXXt, back and forth to Lousiana a couple times. About 5k miles. No problems.

finally got a lower right fairing. When I went and took the rashed fairing off, I discovered the frame has an indention where the fairing stay is welded on. Close inspection does not reveal a crack. The mounting point is a little off kilter but believe I could/can mount the new fairing.

I'm pretty confident in the bike, looking forward to OzarXX, but its the frame. The bike tracks true, no shimmy, no weird tire wear. Ignorance was bliss.

am I over thinking this?

am I over thinking this?

Yes, I think you are.

Mine fell off a set of stands in the garage and ended up with a similar minor dent in the frame. I never worried about it a bit. Stupid design that pretty much guarantees "frame damage" with any tip over, but what are you gonna do.

Hank - Ha! Its taken me over a year to source a lower right fairing and then get around to actually replacing it. I can not imagine how long it would take me to swap out frames. Sure, I know there are some on this board that could swap a frame in a week end. But not me. It would take me months.

First I would have to over analyze it to death, decide that the frame swap would be the perfect time to do all the bearings, worry about gettting the right bearings, price bearings from 36 different suppliers, once that is gnawed to pieces, then I would probably decide jet coating the header should also be done, and maybe that second fan on the radiator, HIDs [or not], since the bike is going to be apart how about finally addressing that potential wire loom problem that my 99 might have, research wire loom probblems, and what about the PAIR block offs, and finally getting that power commander installed if I could only find the old lap top that has the map Eric sent me in 2008.

And I have a 2 1/2 year old that likes to "help" me in the garage and a wife that thinks it cute when he puts allen wrenches in the exhaust pipe. So my rare garage time isn't the most productive time.

I'll stick with trying to get my new fairing installed and new tires mounted in time for OzarXX.

But thanks. :)

• Upvote 1

Hank - Ha! Its taken me over a year to source a lower right fairing and then get around to actually replacing it. I can not imagine how long it would take me to swap out frames. Sure, I know there are some on this board that could swap a frame in a week end. But not me. It would take me months.

First I would have to over analyze it to death, decide that the frame swap would be the perfect time to do all the bearings, worry about gettting the right bearings, price bearings from 36 different suppliers, once that is gnawed to pieces, then I would probably decide jet coating the header should also be done, and maybe that second fan on the radiator, HIDs [or not], since the bike is going to be apart how about finally addressing that potential wire loom problem that my 99 might have, research wire loom probblems, and what about the PAIR block offs, and finally getting that power commander installed if I could only find the old lap top that has the map Eric sent me in 2008.

And I have a 2 1/2 year old that likes to "help" me in the garage and a wife that thinks it cute when he puts allen wrenches in the exhaust pipe. So my rare garage time isn't the most productive time.

I'll stick with trying to get my new fairing installed and new tires mounted in time for OzarXX.

I have a 99 wiring harness too.... :)

No problem, just wanted to mention it in case you like to line things up for "future projects."

You forgot powder-coating or polishing the frame. :ph34r: