CBR1100XX.org Forum

Do you get sore from working out?

Redbird

When I first started and after a significant break, I would get sore. If I overdo it in these situations it can almost be crippling for a couple days, especially my legs. Once I've been at it a few weeks, this almost completely disappears.

Not that I like being sore, but a bit of soreness/tightness makes me feel like I accomplished something. Adding sets, changing sets/reps and switching exercises doesn't seem to have much effect. I'm hesitant to add too much weight as I fear injury.

So, I guess the question would be is it possible to be progressing as much as you safely can without any appreciable muscle soreness?

I'm a little sore and tight afterwards. Not really painful, but, I can feel what I did. Are you staying well hydrated both before and after the workout?

I'm familiar with DOMS and avoiding it, though I did learn a bit more there, thanks. Neither link really answered my question though- I'm not really sore at all, which makes me question if I'm doing things right. I guess as long as I'm making progress (even slowly) I should just quit worrying about it.

I'm a little sore and tight afterwards. Not really painful, but, I can feel what I did. Are you staying well hydrated both before and after the workout?

I drink at least a gallon of water every day and usually take in about a quart while working out. My "problem" isn't being sore, it's not being sore.

I usually only get DOMS when I start back after a break or if I dive into something new. After a good workout I am like has been said a bit tight and possibly have a little soreness in areas that I have blasted particularly hard. Its unusual for that to last more than say an hour or so though sometimes I can feel it when I use the muscles. Not pain but that they have been hammered and are recovering.

All that doesn't really answer the question since I'm not a huge beast putting up insane numbers due to my incredibly dialed in workouts. I do progress but like you I try to push it while still being patient and slow enough to not get injured. I am always paying attention to my back since I had a ruptured L4-L5 and back surgery years ago. I have figured out that when I am working out regularly my back feels much better. I just probably don't push the weight on squats/deads/power cleans like someone who doesn't have that in the back of their mind would.

After multiple hernia operations about the midsection, I lost all semblance of a six pack like I used to have. They used lots of mesh and some fancy xray later led them to tell me I would return to be fixed later down the road. Great huh?! Anyhow, I say this because I have babied my stomach muscles for about 6 years now. With normal workouts that mostly exclude working my abs, I have noticed the muscles are slowly building without being targeted. I type all this because I belive you can gain muscle and strength w/o ANY soreness. However, I see that the muscles I target and get sore, are building faster. No research to back me on this, but I'd imagine that if you are working out but not getting sore, you are probably toning and building very slowly (but safely). Personally, I prefer a lighter workout, so I can continue that pace the next day. If I overdue it and get sore, the temptation to skip a day is too great and the losses exceed the gains from overdoing it.

Hope that helped. If not, at least it helped pad my post count. -hooplehead out