CBR1100XX.org Forum

mothballing the bike

lensmanxx

Since I won't be riding the bike for a while, I emptied the tank, and ran air through it to chase out remaining vapors.

I'm thinking of flushing it with nitrogen gas and sealing it up, or spraying WD40 or some other rust inhibitor that I can remove with acetone when I'm back.

What's best?

What's Best.... Not draining it dry... if you plan on using it next year.

What would be Best is.... filling the entire fuel system with NON-Ethanol laden fuel.... and a Little Sta-bil.

That way.... you minimize the risk of condensation build up, rusty parts, dried and crack seals, etc, etc.... and It's ready to go in 6-9 months... no worries.

Me.... I just have it parked in that garage and run it for 10-15 minutes once a month... oh and yes it has a double shot of Marine Sta-bil in it.

Since they'll be sitting for at least two years, I decided to drain the gas tanks and spray WD40 in them. I contacted the company, and found that it can easily be removed with acetone, mineral spirits, or Dawn dish washing detergent.

Draining the tanks was a real pain to get the last dregs out, especially from the fuel pump in the tank on the SV (attached a pump).

For you SV650 owners with fuel injection: to get the tank off you'll need to disconnect the fuel line at the tank end. In order to do so, you need to squeeze both ends of the clip on the swivel fitting at the same time. In order to accomplish this, disconnect the power plug, then remove the tank bolt. This will let you rotate the tank (empty) to get to the fitting. Be careful not to bend the steel nipple it's attached to, because if you break/stress it, it will mean a new fuel pump for the tank.

Both bikes have had oil placed in the pistons and cranked for a second or two ( w/o the plugs) to coat the cylinders. I then put the plugs back with caps to keep dirt/ moisture out. PITA to do that on the 'Bird. Carburetors and injection line has been drained as well.