CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front Brake Pads Replacement

HamrTym

Quick question for ya'll,

When replacing the front pads, do you use any kind of brake quiet applicant to the pad backing plates. Or do you just put the pads in the calipers just as they are, straight out of the plastic wrapper? Thanks.

I've never put anything on the pad backing. Just be sure to clean up the pistons before

you push them back into the caliper when you are making room for the new pads; you

don't want all that road grime, etc., getting inside the caliper bores.

On my old 1987 BMW K75, the front brakes used to squeal no matter how clean the replacement pads/calipers are. There have been suggestions to apply rubber type paint to the back of the new brake pads to dampen the vibration of the pads in order to reduce the noise when brakes are applied.

I've never tried it, I figure the noise is good so I know they are working.

Last night I pulled the old pads and see where there is nothing applied to the backing plate. Just clean and install the pads. Thanks everyone for their time.

• 2 weeks later...

I just replaced my front pads last night and today riding to work I noticed a high-pitched "buzzing" sound from the front tire (sort of like cicada flies in the trees when its hot - for those in the south who know what I mean) - in any case - the sound rises with the speed of the bike and does not go away when the brake is applied at speed... it disappears as I slow down - any guesses?

I was wondering the same thing about brake quiet when I stumbled upon this thread - any help is always appreciated....

thanks

My guess....

1. Caliper is not on striaght, causing part of the pad to always make contact.

2. Disc is bent, cupped, warped.

Only my guess, but it's what I'd double-check. Your old pads would have worn to fit the misalignment/defect.

thanks - when I pulled the old pads off one was worn more than the others - I'll have a look at the rotor on that side -

how do I check to see if the caliper is on straight? is there a way to adjust it?

PS apologies to all for hijacking this thread!

I had a 2000 ZRX, the front brakes would squeal like a pig at temps below 50f or so. Some of the guys put a backing compound on the brake pads to get rid of the squeal.

thanks - when I pulled the old pads off one was worn more than the others - I'll have a look at the rotor on that side -

how do I check to see if the caliper is on straight? is there a way to adjust it?

I don't know if it's possible to put a caliper on wrong, but if the bike's been down or one of the fork tubes isn't aligned correctly, I suppose it's possible to FUBAR the mounting alignment. A tube being even a fraction of an inch different in the clamps would angle the rotor relative to the caliper.

To check your rotors (if a warp or cup isn't obvious), dismount the tire and lay something you know is rigid and straight against the rotor. The difference should then be obvious.

I just replaced my front pads last night and today riding to work I noticed a high-pitched "buzzing" sound from the front tire (sort of like cicada flies in the trees when its hot - for those in the south who know what I mean) - in any case - the sound rises with the speed of the bike and does not go away when the brake is applied at speed... it disappears as I slow down - any guesses?

I was wondering the same thing about brake quiet when I stumbled upon this thread - any help is always appreciated....

thanks

No worries about the hi jack.

Make sure that the pads are correctly installed at the top of the caliper, you know where the tab on the pad slides into a notch on the caliper. The pads will go in incorrectley and bolt in, if requiring a little assistance. Ask me how I know. Might not be your problem, just a thought.

And...what are the most aggessive pads available (dry and rain riding).

I install mine dry... I use brake cleaner on some other bikes if brake dust is an issue...

I don't know if it's possible to put a caliper on wrong, but if the bike's been down or one of the fork tubes isn't aligned correctly, I suppose it's possible to FUBAR the mounting alignment. A tube being even a fraction of an inch different in the clamps would angle the rotor relative to the caliper.

To check your rotors (if a warp or cup isn't obvious), dismount the tire and lay something you know is rigid and straight against the rotor. The difference should then be obvious.

A tube being a fraction of an inch off in the clamps would not cause the rotor to be at an angle. Don't know if you've noticed, but those slider thingies down at the bottom move independently of each other.

Also, that's about the worst idea for checking a rotor I've ever heard. For one, you're talking about thousandths of an inch, and for two you're not going to see any warp without checking the entire circumference. It needs to be spun and checked for runout.

Do everyone a favor and stop posting your guesses about motorcycle maintenance and service.

BigBlock, I'd suggest you get the front wheel in the air in your garage and spin it, see if you can track down the noise. Did you check the clearance between the disc and caliper mount as described in the manual? If the brakes aren't pulsing you're probably not looking at anything serious, but it'd probably be a good idea to figure out what it is before it becomes something serious. Might be a simple as a loose fastener, misaligned clip, ect....