CBR1100XX.org Forum

free bike!!!!!!!! (PICS ADDED FINALLY)

sykotek-xx

Well, here she is, all cleaned up and fixed up. Running great, did about 150 miles today spread over 2 rides. Not too bad for free.... :) Apparently there is no rev limiter because I accidentally buried the needle waaay past the 11,500 redline more than once (like 12,500 - 13,000). :icon_evilgrin::icon_naughty: Gotta be careful with that. Fun to wind the gears out and not be going completely ballistic like on the XX, plus this thing turns like a bicycle compared to the blackbird...

600_01.JPG

600_02.JPG

600_03.JPG

Bargain! :icon_dance: I hope you have a great time on it. It sure is fun to ride a small bike once in a while. Great work on getting it all fixed up too. :icon_cool:

Edit: Forgot to ask, How did you fix the dirty tank?

I'm not using "reserve" which is keeping most of the shit out of the fuel line. I'll try CLR and a couple chains over the winter, going to ride the piss out of it for now.

That is a sharp bike. On the tank, you may also want to look into POR-15. I used that on my Radian. I had heard that if you do not do the Kreem exactly correct, it will peel off. Never used it so only hearsay. The POR-15 is easy to use. Just a little time consuming.

I've heard the same thing about Kreem, after reading up on it it sounds like that if you don't get the prep exactly right (ALL rust gone, ALL oil/fuel/whatever residue gone) the Kreem will start to flake off in large chunks, causing a bigger problem than you started out with in the first place. I'm going to try to just clean it out as best I can with traditional methods, including nuts / bolts / chains in the tank with a rust dissolving solvent like KLR or whatever, and be happy with whatever results I get. I've been cleaning out the fuel filter after every few runs, and each time there is much less crap in it than before. The tank just has surface rust, doesn't look like there is any really deep rust that would start to cause leakage problems or anything like that. Just crap getting in the fuel line, hopefully all getting caught by the filter I installed (according to Kawi parts guy, when I tried to buy a replacement filter, this bike has no fuel filter, and a $30 air filter!!!!)

Took the little fucker in to work today, man it really screams on the highway, over 6000R at 80MPH (just keeping up with traffic onthe A.C.E.). It's running absolutely perfect now, even the little burble / sputter I had just off idle has worked itself out, been using seafoam and Sunoco Ultra so I guess it helped clear out the low speed circuits. The one place I didn't get to when cleaning the carbs was the low speed needles, they still had the factory block off plates over them and I didn't want to mess with them just yet if I didn't have to. It is suprisingly smooth, even cranking along at 6000R on the expressway it's smooth as silk, no buzzing or vibration. And the way it's geared, it pulls to 12,000R in 1st and 2nd amazingly fast, it's a ton of fun to ride especially on the back roads here in south NJ.

I finally got my brother's ZX6E back together and have been "test riding" it ever since. You're right, lot's o' fun.

Muriatic acid dissolves rust. It's cheap and available at most hardware stores.

Looks brand new! Love those free bikes!

For my buddies 1974 Kawasaki I drained the gas, filled the tank with water and lots of nuts and kept shaking and rinsing.

Works fine with a clear in line filter I keep checking periodically. So far no loose rust particles.

I never tried any chemical, If you do don't get any on the outside, will eat the paint right off.

Buddy cleaned a muzzle loader with CLR once. Took all the bluing right off!

• 1 month later...

Any problems with the rust coming back?

I have a VERY rusty tank to clean out.

I may start with water or CLR. Problem is, the tank sits over the frame and is like having two tanks. It has a gas line that connects the two halves.

Nice bike :icon_thumbsup:

My girl traded in her -92 ZX6 US imported when I bought the -05 XX

She liked it allot.

All that are left is an unused KN filter. :icon_biggrin:

post-3470-1193694328.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update since I saw this thread was on the first page here...

Removed the tank a few weeks ago and removed the float, petcock, etc. Filled it with a gallon of muriatic acid, about a gallon of CLR, and 100 stainless #8 X 3/4" screws. Made some interesting vapors, and got pretty hot as I was shaking it. Killed a nice sized patch of my back yard grass as well. But it got the tank pretty clean inside, rust appears to be all gone from where I can see inside. Screws were fairly easy to get out thru the float hole. Rinsed it out for about 30 minutes with a hose just running into it, then dried with acetone and filled with fuel after putting back on the bike. Keeping it completely topped off at all times when parked to hopefully keep the rest from reappearing. there's a gas station 1.1 miles from my house so it's easy to keep the tank full after a ride.

Been running great, haven't ridden it much but my wife took it out for a few rides with me and she likes it a lot, says it's very comfortable for her and she likes riding it.

• Upvote 1