CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear shock adjustment question...

testrider

Hi all,

I have a 97 XX with 26k miles. The rear shock is stock. When riding

on Southern CA freeways which are not smooth, I felt that the rear

end bounced up and down (kind of a high frequency). What do

I adjust the rebound screw? Should I set it to "softer" or "harder"?

(Is "SOFT" meant faster rebound and "HARD" means slower rebound?

Or is it the other way around?)

Thanks!

-mike-

PS: Who has the best price on a Ohlin shock? Is Ohlin the best replacement?

Hi all,

I have a 97 XX with 26k miles. The rear shock is stock. When riding

on Southern CA freeways which are not smooth, I felt that the rear

end bounced up and down (kind of a high frequency). What do

I adjust the rebound screw? Should I set it to "softer" or "harder"?

(Is "SOFT" meant faster rebound and "HARD" means slower rebound?

Or is it the other way around?)

Thanks!

-mike-

PS: Who has the best price on a Ohlin shock? Is Ohlin the best replacement?

Sounds likes your shock is worn out if it is doing the bounce ... Stock XX shocks have a few settings, hard, harder, and hurt-your-sack. I personally think Ohlins is the best, but you can get alot more bang for your buck with hyper-pro, wilburs etc. Expect to pay $900 at least for Ohlins setup.

The stock rear shock is woefully undervalved and painfully oversprung: this leads to the sensation of getting your ass spanked when riding over stuff like expansion joints. If you're good with handling shock springs you can swap out the stocker for one suited to your weight and ridnig style for about $150-or you can pay a suspension shop $250 to do it. In these cases, the shock is now proper for yuor weight, but the valving is shit soft, and the ride gets unstable. As mentioned above, Ohlins makes some shit hot boingers for our bikes, but they aren't cheap. you can also check w/ Traxxion Dynamics in Woodstock, GA for other choices: I bought my Penske adjustable (8981? remote reservoir, limited adjustability) from them for about $750, but they also make a sport type Penske for around $550, if I recall. Replacing the shock will give you the best results; then do the fork springs and set up the sag properly-this will make you faster than if you added 15 horsepower to the bike.

Bryan...I'm not kidding...

Thank you all, I already replaced my front fork springs with a set of Racetech 0.95 kg and new fork oil.

I have also set the sag properly for front and rear.

Does anybody know if the Ohlins shock have the same length as the stock? Is it adjustable for ride height?

I did a quick search on the web and it seems that the Ohlins is about $900 while the Penski is about $800.

Anybody got near new stock shock for sale cheap? :-)

I have the same problem with my stocker rear shock. If you really want to try a 'fairly new' stocker, put up a WTB stocker post in the Sale Section. I just sold one of mine. They go for usually $80, but you may find someone here to cut you a little slack on one.

Personally, I would recommend replacing it all together. I have a 'Works' rear shock on my other bird. It has a remote dampener and is perfect for bad road, or a quick twist of the dampener, and perfect for the twisties. I think the Works is a great product too (and not too expensive).

You may have to give them a call, not sure they list the XX on their site.

My 2 cents.

WorkPerformance.

Application Guide:

Guide

Thanks for the tips. I just checked out the links you provided and they do have XX listed:

Ultrasport REB, $679

Ultrasport ACR, $749

I'm not sure what REB or ACR are...

-mike-

I have the same problem with my stocker rear shock. If you really want to try a 'fairly new' stocker, put up a WTB stocker post in the Sale Section. I just sold one of mine. They go for usually $80, but you may find someone here to cut you a little slack on one.

Personally, I would recommend replacing it all together. I have a 'Works' rear shock on my other bird. It has a remote dampener and is perfect for bad road, or a quick twist of the dampener, and perfect for the twisties. I think the Works is a great product too (and not too expensive).

My 2 cents.

WorkPerformance.

Application Guide:

Guide

I too have noticed that the rear shock on the XX feels a tad firm. I happen to have the pre-load wound up at about 75% to compensate for passengers, but I'm about to soften it up a bit because I rarely have passengers as often as I did. THen I'll play with the rebound a bit. I know the stock shock is crappy, but it's all that I have at the moment, and I have to work with what I have.

Looks like the lowest price on shock is Penske at $600:

http://www.traxxion.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=SPORT

Now another question:

If I order the shock and specify the rider weight, should I add

my riding gear and Givi rack weight too (not the bags as I can take them off,

but the rack always stays) so that the shock can have a proper

spring to support the weight?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the tips. I just checked out the links you provided and they do have XX listed:

Ultrasport REB, $679

Ultrasport ACR, $749

I'm not sure what REB or ACR are...

-mike-

My 2 cents.

WorkPerformance.

Application Guide:

Guide

ACR = Rebound and compression adjustable (it's in the Legend on the sheet)

REB? Not sure, didn't see it in the Legend.

In any case, their prices went up a bit in the past 10 years or when mine was done :icon_whistle: . The previous owner had it custom made for about 500 bucks. If memory serves, he said they kept his '97 bird for a couple of week while they made the shock (not a rebuild though, i was given the stocker with the bike). That's all I can say is it was night and day from the stocker that I have on my '01 now. I'm sure most of the aftermarket shocks would be great though. Mine has the remote reservoir for the dampening. I find that very handy for quick adjustments.

-Obby

I have had similar problems with the stock shock- especially since I ride with a passenger 1/2 the time. I got the Hyperpro with remote preload adjustment and compression damping. This makes it quick and easy to readjust the rear suspension depending on use. Check Hyperpro's WEB site for current prices. They also installed a spring based on the weight variation I ride with: 200-450lbs.

What's the stock shock length of XX? Do all years have the same lenght?

How are they measured?

Mine is 97. I looked at Hyperpro and it lets you specify a length. If I specify

a length + 6mm I won't have to use my shims, right?

When I put on the Hyperpro it was 12mm taller at the back axle. I am not sure how much taller a 6mm shim would make your bike at the back axle. I could measure the eye to eye length of the Hyperpro if you really need this info- give me a day or 2.

How are they measured?

When I put on the Hyperpro it was 12mm taller at the back axle. I am not sure how much taller a 6mm shim would make your bike at the back axle. I could measure the eye to eye length of the Hyperpro if you really need this info- give me a day or 2.

Please do if it's not too much trouble. 12mm taller at the back axle sounds about right.

I remember after I added 6mm shim the rear tire was almost touching the ground.

Stock shock is ~12 3/8" center to center.

Thanks. 12 3/8" is 314.325mm and Ohlins site listed their XX shock as 319mm.

So which length should I go for?

I'll probably go with Hyperpro, without reservoir, for $500. But their

web site asked me to enter a length. It's not adjustable for length

(a $100 option that I don't want to get) so I want to get it right.

Currently, I'm running a 6mm shim so I like to get a Hyperpro

that's stock length + 6mm so I won't have to use the washer shim.

How are they measured?

Tim, got any measurements? Which Hyperpro shock did you get? To keep the cost

down, I'm thinking of their EMU-40 shock. It's the one that doesn't have

a reservoir, no compression adjustment, only with rebound adjustment.

I don't know, should I bite the bullet and get their EMU-41, which comes with

a reservoir and high/low speed compression + rebound adjustments, for $750?

THanks.

I just measured My Hyperpro rear shock with remote adjustable preload and comp. damping. It looks like 330mm, about 15mm longer than my stock one. This seems a bit strange since it only was 12mm higher than stock at the rear axle when the bike was on the center stand. It was had to get a tape measure in there but I doublt that I am more than a few mm out.

Measured it again and got 325mm eye-eye. I think this is more accurate than my previous measurement. This is only 10mm longer than stock. The remote preload is important to me since I have to change sag quickly when my wife and all our gear go for rides. After we retrun, it is back to me riding solo for many short trips. 4 half turns on the preload wheel sorts out the different weight preloads.

I just measured My Hyperpro rear shock with remote adjustable preload and comp. damping. It looks like 330mm, about 15mm longer than my stock one. This seems a bit strange since it only was 12mm higher than stock at the rear axle when the bike was on the center stand. It was had to get a tape measure in there but I doublt that I am more than a few mm out.

Tim, thanks for the trouble. Yes, 15mm longer seems strange and it's a lot!

When I shimmed my stock rear shock with 6mm washers, the rear tire almost

dropped to the ground. I would imagine if it's 15mm then the centerstand

must be off the ground :-) Did you measure it from the mounting eyelet to eyelet?

I don't know what the stock length is. I'll try to see if I can measure it tonight.

Ohlins site listed their replacement shock as having 319mm length. I don't know

if it's longer or shorter than stock.

So your shock has the optional preload adjustment? The EMU-041 only comes

with remote reservoir with slow/fast comp and rebound adjustments.

Stock shock is ~12 3/8" center to center.

Thanks. 12 3/8" is 314.325mm and Ohlins site listed their XX shock as 319mm.

So which length should I go for?

It's possible my measurement was off by four millimeters. I wouldn't have thought so, I'm measuring the shock off the bike (I had a stocker laying around), but the Ohlins is supposed to be stock length as far as I know. My Ohlins is currently shimmed 6mm, which puts the rear tire right on the ground, same as it was with the stock shock.

15mm is a lot of extra length. After the linkage that's going to be around 45mm at the axle- dramatic change, there.