CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stupid Paint Questions

Skull

So, I've sanded the finish on the (removed) seat-cowl portion of the Corbin Smuggler with a nifty little 60 grit sandpaper sponge-thing from 3M. The shine is gone. How do I tell if it's scuffed enough? The surface feels uniform to the touch.

I'm going to skip the primer stage, because there was already paint on it, and it's plastic, and primer is mostly just something to stick the pretty stuff to the bare metal.

Should I sand between coats of paint? If so, wet-sand or dry-sand? 180 grit okay, or too fine/rough?

Between paint and clearcoat, I'd definitely planned to wet-sand with 180 grit. Should I wet-sand with 320 after that?

After clearcoat, I'd definitely planned to wet-sand with 180 and then 320.

I've never done this before, and I'd love to pick up some rules of thumb so I don't necessarily have to restart a dozen times due to doing it wrong. I already figure I'll have to restart a bunch due to not being able to make the damn stuff not run. :?

:shock:

OH Fuaaaa.... Well, sounds like you just Fucked yourself.

First of you should never have used 60 grit....... period. Now you have to primer! to fill up all of the grand canyon sanding marks you made in it.

So...

get back to work!

Primer and sand it with 320 on an orbit al until you get it baby butt smooth.

You don't need to wet-sand, that is only needed after the color has been applied and then you use 1500. Prior to clear coating.

So go bake to primering and call me when your done.... I'll tell you what to do next, so that you don't make any more work for yourself.

I'm not even through the old paint yet -- I just have the deep gouges in it (as EVLXX said). It is still effectively primered. Does the primer coat really need to be that smooth? Everything I'd read said to rough it up. I've only just barely burnt through the clearcoat that was on there before.

Hey, I said they were stupid questions. :)

Your finish coat is only as smooth as the primer coat. You can get the scratches out by sanding with a finer grit paper, washing it down, priming it, sanding it down again with the finer paper, and then prime again. The coat of primer you sand down will act as a filler in the bigger scratches and act to smooth things a bit. You might need to do this a couple times with the sanding of the primer to fill in any deep scratches till you get it smooth enough for your last coat of primer for paint.

Get it as smooth as possible, prime, wetsand, then paint. The smallest scratch, or flaw will show through the paint. Get it perfect before you paint or you'll regret it. As long as you paint in a clean area with no dust in the air you shouldn't need to sand between coats.

60 grit  :shock:  

Not too bad, I saw a stolen Harley that had a angle grinder taken to it and painted over...  

They even did the gas tank.. good thing they leak oil and not gas  :lol:

If I had to drive a harley I'd take a grinder to it too..... :twisted: