CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Windows

N1K

I've been replacing my 70-year-old single-pane double hung windows with new insulated vinyl replacements. WOW, what a difference in quietness from outside noise and drafts.

Goes pretty quick too.

The windows cost about $135 each from Menards, takes about 45 minutes per window to install. Can't wait to see how much lower my heating bills will be this winter.

I'll try to get some pics tonight.

Wow...thats cool that you are tackling that yourself. For some reason I'd be afraid to try that on my own. New windows are the shiz though. You will wind up saving a lot of dough on heating and cooling.

Wow...thats cool that you are tackling that yourself. For some reason I'd be afraid to try that on my own.

Its not hard at all!

I could do a write-up next time I replace one. I have to go order some more, so that should be within a couple weeks.

Wow...thats cool that you are tackling that yourself. For some reason I'd be afraid to try that on my own.

Its not hard at all!

I could do a write-up next time I replace one. I have to go order some more, so that should be within a couple weeks.

Really.... He is right.... It's not that hard at all. I showed my neighbor how to do one and he did all the rest.

Take off the old siding or cut the old siding about 1.5" away from the window, all the way around.

Remove nails and old window.

Install new window.

Place new trim next to new window,

cut siding to accept new trim,

install new trim or replace old trim,

use chaulking to fill small gaps and paint.

See..... simple. :lol:

I did my whole house in 3 days, by myself. 11 windows.

And yes..... I'm love'n them already!

They were so quiet at first, compared to the old ones, I had a hard time sleeping..... it was too quiet.

Good job Nik!

Actually I just did the pocket replacements.

Take the stops off the windows, remove the old window, cut the ropes that hold the 'weight' that serves as balast to keep windows up. Remove the pulley hardware at the top of the 'track'.

Pull the wood acess panel off the side and pull out, and throw out the 'weights'.

Fill the space where the weights 'hung' with insulation. Put the wood access panel back on, caulk the opening, put the pocket replacement in, put some minimally expanding aerosol foam insulation around the edge, caulk the front edge where the stop will go back on, and put the stops back on.

Pocket replacements are great if you are happy with your current window sill's and trim etc.

No need to cut siding or trim or anything. Only tools needed are a hammer, pry-bar, caulk gun.

I'll take some tonight. I was going to wait until I installed another one to do the step-by-step pics, but I'll snap some tonight of the finished.

Here is what the windows looked like before I put the new ones in.

34800814.jpg

Here is the windows after putting in the pocket replacements.

The pocket replacements only replace the interior part of the window, not the casement/trim.

Eventually I'm going to replace the interior trim/sills also, but for now I wanted to get the old single-pane drafty (god, you could feel the wind blowing thru them) windows out.

34800818.jpg

In addition to how much more sealed up the new vinyl pocket replacements are and being double pane low-e glass. That alone will really reduce heat loss. In addition with the old windows the areas that are circled in red in the below picture are where the old 'weights' would hang. Those area's were hollow. They had to be to let the iron weights that make the windows stay up etc move up and down. There is rope that goes form the top of the window pane up the side and over a pulley and onto a weight that is hanging in that hollow space.

When I removed the old panes, you remove those weights and pulley hardware and I filled the area (the hollow areas that are behind the trim which is circled with red) with insulation, some fiberglass and some minimally expanding aerosol foam insulation. That too will really prevent a lot of heat loss. The new windows are counterweighted by springs that are part of the vinyl sides of the pocket replacements...

These windows each cost about $135 each. That's with low-e glass and full screens. Without the low-e glass and full screen they are about $100 each.

34801143.jpg

They look nice. The weight pocket on these old windows can loose a lot of heat.

It was amazing... When I pulled the wood 'cover' off of the weight cavity you could see specs of DAYLIGHT on the other side. :shock: Wind woudl blow RIGHT thru...

The only problem w/ replacement windows is you end up w/ less glass

Yes... Absolutely, and a great point. With POCKET replacement windows, you have a smaller 'viewable' area thru the window. At least on the sides and top

That was something I didn't realize at first, but after installing them.... You loose about and inch each side of 'view'.

• 2 months later...

I need a lesson on Windows and doors. I have to replace them ALL. My house is 10 years old and they really bought shitty windows and doors when they built my house. I hate that. I have never done one before and would love a tutorial. I am needing to replace everything (not just a pocket replacement). Thanks in advance boys!!

MaXX

Mac, what kind of windows do you have now, and how are they trimmed in on the exterior?

Doors are gravy, the sizes are pretty much standard. Pull the interior trim, get the dimensions of the rough opening (the 2x4 framing around the door). Order/buy correct size pre-hung door, remove exterior trim, remove existing door and frame, install and shim new pre-hung door, fill gaps with some of the "minimally expanding aerosol foam insulation" Nik metioned above, replace interior trim.

One variable might be the exterior trim, a lot of the time it's a part of the new door, and may not fit exactly with whatever siding surrounds the door. Worst case is a bit of exterior trim work.

Windows can be just as simple, if you can find the exact size you have presently, but that's not always easy.

I have found that anything for my house I can find at Menards. It is a fucking Menards house!!!!! :cry: :cry:

With that, the doors are surround by brick molding (?) The windows are too. I had to replace some rotting shit around my man door to the garage. I think everything should be stanadard, but I would really like to see someone do one first. My entrance is a bit special as the bottom of the door has pushed away from the floor. I will take some pictures of the outside and inside tonight.

I would happily fly you up to help me out with the skylight, 1 door, 1 window in spring. I can buy everything over the winter and do them then? Thanks for the help.

Mac

If I come up in the spring, we may as well knock out the roof while I'm there.

One door, one window and the skylite is probably doable in a day (the skylite is the big variable there, could get ugly, might be simple). If you don't want to leave that skylite leaking all winter, give me a call and we'll see if we can work something out before it gets really cold up there. otherwise, we'll aim for the spring.

Looks good Nik! Good Job!

Window are a snap.... Maxx, you can do all of your windows just like Nik did.

2 poeple and the proper tools.... have your whole house do in 2 days, easy. ( I'm guessing 12-15 windows )

Maxx, you can do all of your windows just like Nik did.

No, I can't. A couple of windows have rot and others are starting to get mold on them. I cleaned the moldy ones this year (just surface stuff) and re-stained them, but I am not doing that again. If I am going to replace windows, I am doing all of the window. This is seeming easier by the day. Thanks for the advice.

MaXX

Speaking of windows. I had only done 4 of them when I posted this. Just this past weekend I bought the remaining 13 that I hadn't done. They come in in about 2 weeks. Can't WAIT to install them... It was REALLY windy here last weekend and you could put your hand next to the edges of the new windows and not feel a spec of cold. You could stand 3 feet away from the old windows and feel the draft.

Maxx,

why don't you send me a picture via e-mail of your windows you have now.

1 from the inside, one from the outside, kinda close like the ones Nik posted.

Maybe I can give you some new ideas concerning the install of new windows.

wanttorideallday@yahoo.com

:grin:

Speaking of windows. I had only done 4 of them when I posted this. Just this past weekend I bought the remaining 13 that I hadn't done. They come in in about 2 weeks. Can't WAIT to install them... It was REALLY windy here last weekend and you could put your hand next to the edges of the new windows and not feel a spec of cold. You could stand 3 feet away from the old windows and feel the draft.

Speaking of new windows... I had the same experience with the old cold windows, except there was no draft, it was just heat transfer.

Last year our daily average for this month was 3.1 gallons / day of natural gas...

this year it's down to 1.8 gallons per day! :grin:

Even though gas prices have gone up almost 16% since then, my bill is almost half of what it was.

Thank you new windows!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! :grin:

Yeah, thanks fella's. I will plan something in Spring. That would be awesome if I could get you, Tim and Jerry on or in a truck to party it up (bring the bikes???). Thanks fella's, I will post up the projects.

Tim, on another note, if we do the roof, can we just remove the skylight? I think I will tongue and grove the ceiling of the bathroom so with some insulation, I could just fill the skylight hole? Lets talk after I post the pics.

MaXX

Tim, on another note, if we do the roof, can we just remove the skylight? I think I will tongue and grove the ceiling of the bathroom so with some insulation, I could just fill the skylight hole? Lets talk after I post the pics.

MaXX

Here is a cool idea for you... remove the Skylight from the roof, but leave the opening inside, edge frame it with some molding , put a light up inside it that's activated by a wall switch, and the put a piece of frosted glass in - on the molding to make it look as though there is still a skylight there. :wink:

Later you can throw stuff inside it on top of the glass like dried leaves or twigs to give it an out-doorsy look.