CBR1100XX.org Forum

a guy gives me a boat

county

My neighborhood is situated on a lake. My house is about 100 yards from the lake and I'm telling this guy (friend) how I'd like to have a boat, something lightweight, to screw around on the lake, take my dog out etc.

Anywya he gives me this boat. Not new. 12 foot, aluminum.

It is kinda ragged and the bottom back seam needs repair. Looks like it was dragged around on pavement. Anyway I'm not set up for welding aluminum (although running a bead along this seam is what it needs)

So, what do I fix this with? How?

Also, what kinda paint do I use to paint this thing?

re: durafix

thanx, that looks interesting and I'm probably gonna be willing to invest $35 bucks to find out if it's as good as they say.

if the stuff works like advertised i will post a comment (and if it works like shit, i'll mention that too)

Think it's called tiger hair basicly fiberglass that they use for body repair. Nothing seems to work better than welding but it will last a few years depending on use....

Marine paint works fine... they make a silver that's close to the same color as Alum....

one of my buddies has an old boat with a ton of holes in it. this thing gets dragged around from pond to pond and really takes a beating. we have tried just about everything (except durafix) from just plain silicone to expensive 2 part epoxies. marine goop seemed to hold the longest.

the prep is the key to good adhesion though. make sure the surface is clean, sandpapered and dry.