CBR1100XX.org Forum

ZX-14 Front End Mod Question

RedEye

Did anyone ever get around to making a custom thingamabobber to allow you to use the standard top steering stem bearing? Cuz I have the forks and triples from a brand new zero-km '14 on the way and I could surely use one :icon_lol:

I have everything I need to figure it out, but, the thickness of the zx bearing and race.

And Alan is looking for his....spare one.

So if you have yours and can give me the number, I can finish the drawing and make it and put it on and prove it.

If you have the number on the bearing also. I hate to have to buy another one from All balls, just to get the number off to order a real set.

All my books fail to show the size that it is. I guess I could call a supplier.

Everything I have seen and measured says it will fit.

OK?

• 2 weeks later...

post-61658-1298241287.jpg

Finally got my parts . . . took a bit longer than it should have thanks to my rural mailbox having an unscheduled encounter with a baseball bat. Yes, that shit actually happens. Anyway, here's a pic with the only numbers I could find. I freely admit that my knowledge of bearings is somewhere between jack and shit, so if this isn't what you need let me know. Preferably using a picture, with the relevant parts circled in red :icon_redface:

I have a digital caliper and an outside micrometer if that helps. If you can get me pointed at the right gizmo, I can take physical measurements of it.

Well the number should cross to a taper roller bearing from your ball bearing. The number I need would require the outside race that is missing from the picture. And the number I am looking for would be from the table to the top with the race installed around the outside. Yes it would help to have the thickness of your ball bearing setup. Is it a stock set?

The parts are stock, from an '08. I don't have the outside race . . . I'm guessing it's still in the frame of the bike my forks came from? Hmmm, I just looked at a few random front ends on ebay and none of them come with the outer races, I guess this is the norm. Which is nice to know, but not too helpful right now :icon_razz:

Ok, so would an aftermarket tapered bearing kit have the parts you need? Because if that were the case I could paypal you the cost of the kit, you could order it and have your way with it, then forward it to me when you're done. Given a choice, I'd rather buy a plug-n-play ZXXX conversion kit set up for the tapered bearings anyway.

scored the bearing sizes and price. 55x35x14 $55.00

The stock bearing is 14.5 wide, so a little there.From what I remember without getting the drawings should fit, and work, but lets wait till I make one. And test it..

Thanks, the number got what we needed.

Has anyone done a write up on this mod? Seems that if you can get the parts @ the right price, it would make more sense than spending $ to rework the BB forks.

So, if you did this, what steps were needed? Are you happy w/ the result?

Much appreceated.

Yes, search for zxxx. That is my alter ego, two wheel personality. My log on too. Have not used it in a while.

Gracias, Hombre.

Looks like I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for a ZX14 front end.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this sooner, and it's too late to be useful at this point, but I'm pretty sure I remember the ZX14 neck bearings being the same as the bottom XX neck bearing.

The od is, but the id is different,,,,,I think.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this sooner, and it's too late to be useful at this point, but I'm pretty sure I remember the ZX14 neck bearings being the same as the bottom XX neck bearing.

The od is, but the id is different,,,,,I think.

I actually think they're the same, but it's been some time since I had both apart to measure.

• 1 month later...

Le Bump . . . how's it going Stan? I am eager to send you actual cash money or its electronic equivalent in exchange for a small but critical chunk of shiny metal :icon_whistle:

I am in the middle of a No2 R1 build that I have to get done,, and soon. I fear that this month ain't gonna happen. What with the trip to Rednexxt burning a week of it. But next month, so gonna happen.

Don't let up. I will. I am sure that it is a good part now. All the dimn's are good.

• 1 month later...

It's a month later, so here's your regularly scheduled nagging :icon_razz:

Front tire's getting awfully cupped, it would be cruel and unusual punishment to make me install a new one on that antique rightside-up-forked non-radial-braked secondary-master-cylinder-shenanigan Honda front end when all my shiny brand new parts are gathering dust :icon_whistle:

Keep it up. I have got the week trip to Rednexxt done, and Ozarxx is next week. And Roxx next month for a week. And then no more excuse.

Keep it up. I have got the week trip to Rednexxt done, and Ozarxx is next week. And Roxx next month for a week. And then no more excuse.

Would going with a 14 front end be better than going with a busa front? Is one better built, easier to install, cheaper etc?

There probably isn't a huge difference between ZX-14 and newer Busa setups. The old Busa doesn't have radial brakes, which you may or may not care about. I went with the ZX because:

1. There's a shop in Canada that parts out brand new zero mileage ZXs, so I could get guaranteed good parts without getting assraped with international shipping

2. While good ZX-14 calipers are still relatively rare and expensive, many others will fit with the use of a simple spacer (or even a stack of washers for the ghetto-inclined). The same may be true for newer Busa brakes, I haven't looked into it. I went with CBR1000RR hardware because they're a lot more common; I got the calipers, master cylinder, and brake lines (which I'm assuming will be too short, but oh well) for just over half the price of a decent set of oem ZX-14 calipers. The money saved will go toward upgraded lines for now, and maybe a down payment on some Brembos or equivalent bling later.

3. We have someone on the forum who's done the swap and can machine the necessary adapter . . . though I may end up reading Dave Gingery's Build Your Own Metalworking Shop From Scrap, building a milling machine, learn how to use it by trial and error, and complete the project on my own before he has time to do it :icon_nana:

4. Despite it's Ferrari-Testarossa-wannabe side panels, the ZX-14 has never managed to acquire the gay squidly stigma of the Busa. :icon_razz:

Would going with a 14 front end be better than going with a busa front? Is one better built, easier to install, cheaper etc?

The only thing needed to do either is the top bearing, and I have used a pair of special small ball, ball bearing. And they are high priced at a 100 each. The adapter I hope to Lathe will use the standard zx taper.

The top bearing does not take the load from bumps so is fine but, will not take the torque from tightening the top nut to much, hence two. But, the cost of the adapter will run about the same price, so it is a cost wash.

And what he said...

• 1 month later...

Bump again. Front tire disintegrating, grisly death imminent. New forks probably rusting in box. Even the dog looks sad. Please can I has adapter?