CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need some help please

ErikL

Hi all, need some help here. Just got my 2001XX out from winter storage. I did start it a couple of times over the winter months and she ran fine. Yesterday, I added some fuel injector cleaner and started her. She was hard to start with a fully charged battery, and then ran a little rough, almost like it is missing. I do have a power commander and checked that it seemed to be working correctly. That is, the lights on the unit were moving in response to the throttle position. I disconnected the fuel line, drained the gas, flushed the tank, and replaced with fresh gas. I started her up, and she is still running rough. I took it for a quick ride up the street, and power is way down. At this time, I noticed the exhaust cans were really starting to carbon up, and I could smell unburned gas. She does not want to idle, and will die if I don't keep her running with the throttle. I'm not a total mechanical moron, so I'm going to check the plugs and try to trouble shoot from the factory shop manual. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to troubleshoot or work on her, as I'm putting my house up for sale in the next week or so. Can anyone give me any quick tips or things to look for? Or, would the local dealer be able to quickly trouble shoot, if they connected the bike to their computer? Thanks in advance for the help.

ErikL

Raise the tank, on the right side of the fuel rail is a rubber line going to the tank. NOT THAT ONE!!!! But , there is another that is a vacumn line. If gas runs out that, BAD FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR. Mr turbo best one but more expensive.

Make sure that the plug on the aircleaner is hooked up Air temp sensor, will make it run rich and fowl the plugs.

Raise the tank, on the right side of the fuel rail is a rubber line going to the tank. NOT THAT ONE!!!! But , there is another that is a vacumn line. If gas runs out that, BAD FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR. Mr turbo best one but more expensive.

Make sure that the plug on the aircleaner is hooked up Air temp sensor, will make it run rich and fowl the plugs.

Thanks CBRXXQUAD. I'll check those 2 things first, and let everyone know what I find out.

Thanks CBRXXQUAD. I'll check those 2 things first, and let everyone know what I find out.

So what did you find out?

So what did you find out?

Fuel pressure regulator is ok. The temperature sensor is also connected. I'm a little puzzled as to what the problem is. Although I hate to do so, as I don't have much time to trouble shoot, I'm going to drop her off at the local stealer. The service manager I know, and shouldn't screw me over too badly. Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let everyone know what the final outcome is next week.

Might be too late for this advice, but don't assume the Power Commander is okay just because the lights work. Take it out of the loop before bothering to pay someone else to troubleshoot it.

Had the same problem... and the answer was...

BAD FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR. Mr turbo best one but more expensive.

Just because fuel doesn't run out of the vent tube... doesn't mean it's good. More than likely you have Ethanol in your fuel... from the manufacturer... and it's destroying the rubber in your Regulator...

But before it goes to critic failure and starts dumping fuel, it swells (causeing the other way a regulator can Fail), and this swelling causes the regulator to Over Pressure the system, and gives you the symptoms you report.

Yes your bike is slowly starting to Flood itself... the Bad performance, Soot, and idleing problems, were all the same symptoms I had...

I bought a OEM part from Ron Ayers I believe...

problem solved. :icon_biggrin:

Just because fuel doesn't run out of the vent tube... doesn't mean it's good. More than likely you have Ethanol in your fuel... from the manufacturer... and it's destroying the rubber in your Regulator...

But before it goes to critic failure and starts dumping fuel, it swells (causeing the other way a regulator can Fail), and this swelling causes the regulator to Over Pressure the system, and gives you the symptoms you report.

Yes your bike is slowly starting to Flood itself... the Bad performance, Soot, and idleing problems, were all the same symptoms I had...

Hi all,

Just got the bike back from the local stealer. All 4 plugs were fouled which I previously suspected, but did not have time to check. The previous owner had installed 2 Brothers exhaust cans without installing a PC. The bike ran noticeably rich and mileage was down before I added the PC. The stealership also found that the crankcase was full of gas and oil. The mechanic thought that the previous two times I started the bike, an injector hung open and filled a cylinder which leaked into the pan. this was causing the bike to run on 3 cylinders. I did check the oil before I stored the bike for the winter, and it was fine then. I took the bike for a 1/2 hour ride and she ran pretty strong. I did notice the temperature gauge was only reading about 185°F after the bike was warmed up which is about 20°F lower than it used to run. The temp gauge is working correctly. If I let the bike sit and idle, she'll heat up to about 215°F before the fan kicks on. It was about 40°F while riding, but this is still cooler than I am used to seeing. I'm going to check the thermostat. Any idea on how to check the Intake air temperature sensor ?

I will be moving to Indianapolis in the near future, so hopefully I can find some new riding buddies from the board out there.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Hi all,

Just got the bike back from the local stealer. All 4 plugs were fouled which I previously suspected, but did not have time to check. The previous owner had installed 2 Brothers exhaust cans without installing a PC. The bike ran noticeably rich and mileage was down before I added the PC. The stealership also found that the crankcase was full of gas and oil. The mechanic thought that the previous two times I started the bike, an injector hung open and filled a cylinder which leaked into the pan. this was causing the bike to run on 3 cylinders. I did check the oil before I stored the bike for the winter, and it was fine then. I took the bike for a 1/2 hour ride and she ran pretty strong. I did notice the temperature gauge was only reading about 185°F after the bike was warmed up which is about 20°F lower than it used to run. The temp gauge is working correctly. If I let the bike sit and idle, she'll heat up to about 215°F before the fan kicks on. It was about 40°F while riding, but this is still cooler than I am used to seeing. I'm going to check the thermostat. Any idea on how to check the Intake air temperature sensor ?

I will be moving to Indianapolis in the near future, so hopefully I can find some new riding buddies from the board out there.

Thanks for all the help so far.

It will run cooler if it is rich, and fuel in the oil is bad. Hope they changed it. Keep checking it for smell or you will lose the bearings.

I should have had you run the bike and pull the vacunm line off the regulator with fuel pressure. If the reg diaphram is out the fuel will run into the cylinder that is open and drain past the rings if long enough.

I should add...

One of the reasons I Found my Fuel Pressure Reg to be bad Before the Bike started Dumping fuel down the cylinders, or out of the vent line, is because I have a AFR gage installed on my bike. ( because of an exhaust project I did )

So yes, I could see my AFR's were dropping... and the bike started running poorly at idle and Low RPM.

I should add...

One of the reasons I Found my Fuel Pressure Reg to be bad Before the Bike started Dumping fuel down the cylinders, or out of the vent line, is because I have a AFR gage installed on my bike. ( because of an exhaust project I did )

So yes, I could see my AFR's were dropping... and the bike started running poorly at idle and Low RPM.

Thanks for the info. The stealership did change the oil, and since they are only about 2 miles from my house, I don't think any damage was done to the bearings. After I got the bike home, I checked the oil level. It was ok with no fuel smell or apparent thinning. The bike is running fine now although the temperature gauge is about 20°F lower than I am used to seeing. Do you still think fuel pressure regulator, or would you suspect thermostat/IAT sensor ?