CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Tool - $16

MrBadExxample

I read about this on another site and ordered one. So in a couple of days I'll be able to give you a first hand opinion. Here's the thread where I read about it.

ADVRider Thread

The discussion of the tool starts several posts from the top. Apparently it's identical to the DID chain tool, but $130 less.

The chain tool is halfway down the page

Chain Tool

I went ahead and ordered a couple more tire spoons ($6.00/each) and a rim saver set to get the free shipping.

I got the chain tool last week, arrived in two days via FedEx.

I haven't used it yet, so this review is incomplete. However, it certainly seems sturdy enough to flare out master links. I wouldn't use it to break the chain, nor any chain tool. Instead I cut off the link heads with a cutting wheel on a dremel tool. Then I would use this tool to press the links out. The tool comes in a small plastic case and is more compact than most chain tools, conducive for traveling. The push-through pin has a flare adapter on the other end. The plate can be fitted over the flare adapter and used as a side plate press tool. Did I mention it's only $16?

gallery_1763_240_1140409.jpg

gallery_1763_240_385675.jpg

BTW, how much was it?

The non-pedophile price is $16.00. I don't know what they'd charge you.

ROTFLMAO :icon_clap: :icon_lol::icon_lol:

I bought one also. The tool, replacement tip (In case I break one), the side plate presser with tax and shipping was $31.80.

I don't need the tool now, but will eventually and couldn't pass up the deal.

I was going tp pop for the RK tool for around a $100.00 until this came along.

BTW, how much was it?

The non-pedophile price is $16.00. I don't know what they'd charge you.

That’s Match Point. Have you been sucking from Tim's Nipple of Knowledge? Is he offering Correspondence Classes in Assaholism? If so you must have graduated Magna Cum Loudly.

• 4 months later...

I replaced a 530 chain today using this tool. It worked great, no problems. Although at times I wished I had three hands to hold various parts in place until they could be tensioned.

A couple of suggestions. Use 27mm and 19mm box wrenches on the tool. Open end wrenches tended to fall off the tool at awkward times. The first thing I had to do was remove ten links from the 120 chain. The XX uses a 110 chain, but most new chains are 120 links and the customer is expected to remove the extra links. Not a problem. To remove the links I cut the pin head off with a dremel tool and cut-off wheel. I then used the pin extractor part of this tool to push out the headless pin.

Press on the master link plate with the plate press adapter.

post-1763-1192993831.jpg

Stake the master link pins using the flare adapter. It's on the opposite end of the pin extractor. Don't confuse the two, you'll probably break the pin extractor if you try to stake with it. Also make sure the back of the master link pins are in the recessed areas. This aligns the flare tool over the pin. There's indicators on the side of the tool to help you align it properly. Anyhow it worked like a champ. The pin head in the photo is 5.70 mm in diameter. The range for a DID chain is 5.50 - 5.80mm.

post-1763-1192994158.jpg

If you look at the bottom of the letter J in the word JAPAN on the master link there is a wee bit of grease/oil you missed.................................

:icon_twisted:

"The first thing I had to do was remove ten links from the 120 chain. The XX uses a 110 chain, but most new chains are 120 links and the customer is expected to remove the extra links."

110 link chains can be ordered - some shops just carry the 120 linkers to save on inventory.

• 6 months later...

Used the $16 chain tool and works like a champ!

I used my dremel to remove my chain, the push pin is a POS and just used a center punch to remove the pin. For $16 to press the chain this thing works great!

Yea, please fill us in. If it's a good tool at that price I have to get one.

Scot you can borrow my tool anytime. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks man but for $16 I need one of my own. I ordered one yesterday along with a few other tools that'll come in handy.

I used mine about 2 weeks ago. Worked great.

I over tightened the tool when i was forming the rivet ends (do not crank till the forming tool is flush with the chain link). The link binds a little...not really that big of a deal. I'm sure it will wear in.

Got it last week...used it on 2 chains so far with no issues. Works just as well as the Motion Pro tool set I paid $100 years ago :icon_redface:

• 1 year later...
$50 now

Broke my pin, going to order some replacements.

Yeah I bought one last year when I did my new chain/sprockets and busted a pin trying to pop out the link pin (even after I ground the head off :icon_surprised: ), luckily I ordered a spare when I got it :icon_rolleyes:

It worked OK other than that :icon_biggrin:

Not from them, but I have another couple of tools that have come in VERY handy. The deep 90 circlip pliers for getting the clips out of the master cylinders. Makes the job a piece of cake. And the brake piston pliers for rotating the pistons while in the bore. Only used them once but very nice.

They do happen to have a few,....well ok more than a few,.....tools I`d like to have in my toolbox "just in case".

OK, speak up, how many more of you are tool junkies too??!!