CBR1100XX.org Forum

A much better XX for little cash.

Red J

Screen:

I started out by buying an 02 windscreen off of JJPXX. Very nice mod, and really helps out with the crosswinds and what-not. Kansas wind is constant, sometimes relentless, and the 97 screen I had produced a clear stream, if a bit strong. The 02 screen solved much of this, only problem was, I found that I was resting more of my weight on the bars. Less wind was supporting me from the front.

Bars:

So, I decided to try out the VFR bars. 02-present VFR bars fit our forks, rise and back a little, and look like stock. I found mine on Ebay for 60 bones. I was somewhat skeptical, since the parts didn't appear to be that much rearward and up from the XX bars, which I had already adjusted to the top of the fork tubes. I must say that the difference is more profound than I thought. The bike is much more pleasurable to ride at moderate speeds now, less pressure on the arms definitely. I don't even notice anymore that the screen moved the air pocket higher. The screen and bars work together nicely. The only caveat with these, is that my Galfer clutch line fouls against the base of the left bar. I will likely grind on the bar to resolve this, and get the bars powdercoated this winter.

Switches:

A few weeks back, I had found a set of 97-98 XX handlebar switches on ebay.co.uk. Euro switches have, on the right side, a three position headlamp switch, to be able to turn the headlight on and off. The center position on the switch is for the city light, a small lamp inside the housing for daytime running or some such bullshit. The left side switch has the flash-to-pass switch in addition to the standard hi/lo headlight selector. Momentary toggle switch.

The left side switch required some rewiring, but to my surprise, I could retain the US lower half, combined with the Euro upper half, swap out the wires and pins, and it is totally factory now. You can't tell. The right side switch plugged in, no modification necessary.

I'm pleased with the switches. It is nice to be able to fire up the bike without the headlamp on, or to extinguish it at will. Also very nice to have an easier method to flick the highbeam on to signal traffic, the switch falls readily to hand. Why that was never put on the US birds, I don't understand.

---

As I said, I was skeptical about the screen, as the height difference is marginal. Also with the bars. But I must say that this is enough of a difference to make the bike seem a good deal more comfortable. The switches are a nice little mod that gives the bike a little more functionality. I have less than 200 bucks in these mods, and the price is well worth it.

Pics:

right_bar_switch.jpg

left_bar_switch.jpg

passing_toggle.jpg

I will admit that the bike has overall seemed slower since I installed the screen. In fact, it seems most reluctant to exceed the speed limit by five MPH. I'm not sure why.

How come your clutch fluid is clear and your brake fluid is not? Another test, maybe? :twisted: Or did you run out of new brake fluid? Just sayin' hi.......... 8)

I knew someone would pipe up about that.

Clutch line got replaced for this round of mods. Had it already, just didn't put it on before.

Brake lines were replaced back in November during the Great Engine Rebuild of 04. Fluid is that old.

I've got fresh fluid for it, just haven't done it yet.

Damn I'm interested in that switch set I like those...   Hope I can find a set.

That is very easy.....

Check out E-bay worldwide. You have the best chance in Germany or England. If thet will not ship out of Europe, give me a PM and I'll work it out for you. I can look here if you want me to. They are very cheap, and hardly ever sold...

I just need to know if you need a set with a choke-lever or not.....

I did a search for:

cbr* switch*

...which got me my set. I see that there are three different right side switches, and a single carby left side switch right now, using that search string on ebay.co.uk.

My problem was lining up a seller who would send them across the pond. In the end, I relied on a mate's mate in the UK to do the business for me.

I bid, seller shipped to mate's mate, he shipped to me.

Be forewarned, I ended up swapping the master switch out (was well worn and weatherchecked) and the housings did need a little cleaning. I decided to strip them down and clean/lube all of the inner bits.