CBR1100XX.org Forum

valve stems. (Now with part #???)

Pete in PA

Since I'm going to be changeing my own tires, does anyone know if they take the standard cage type valve stem?

If they do, where can I find the short ones like I have installed now. I bought some but they were listed as 1 /1/4" and still looks a little long.

• 9 months later...

I'm getting ready to mount new tires for the first time, and started looking at the valve stems.

Pete, you said you got some Honda ones for $2.50 in this post. Did you just pick some up at a local dealer?

I just looked them up on RonAyers and ServiceHonda and they are priced more like $6.94.

They list three different part numbers: 42753-ML7-003, 42753-ML7-004, and 42753-MT4-005, all priced about the same. Anyone have any idea what the differences are?

Am I making this more difficult that it should be? Do standard automotive valve stems work for the potential forces imposed on them on the BBird? Do they use the same small auto base and are just shorter than typically found on auto wheels? Or, do they have stronger valve springs, better seats, and better cap seals to hold pressure under high centrifugal force?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Dennis kirk has some 90 degree valve stems, I bought a set to install on my next tire change.

Tired of fighting with my pressure guage between the rotors.

I hope they work for you. I bought a set of those from DK, but when the guy at the tire place tried to install them

when I had my tires changed last time, he said they didn't fit and he could not install them. :sad: I have no reason to

doubt him; he has been changing my tires for years and always treats me right.

YMMV, of course.

It has been pointed out that the microfiche says that the three valve stem part numbers are for Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Michelin, respectively.

The caps on my '03 say *Pacific*, which probably means Pacific Industrial Company LTD of Japan. If the factory and the dealers are using $2 stems from some other manufacturer, then why wouldn't the $7 name-brand stems be antique from sitting on the shelves?

Has anybody ordered any of these and noticed whether they are date stamped and sealed in air/ozone-tight baggies?

Does anybody but me care?

Dodge7d, do you have any trouble getting a typical, clunky air chuck to work on those flush-mount valve stems?

Dodge7d, do you have any trouble getting a typical, clunky air chuck to work on those flush-mount valve stems?

No, they have an adaptor that screws into them that is about 1 1/2" and a 90* air chuck works sweet. I'am sure with a little work you could use a normal air chuck on them, but even stock stems have that problem. Tire gauges are not a problem either..... :cool:

Who brought my thread back from the dead? :lol:

I picked mine up at the Honda dealer. Each one in a bag just like a regular Honda part. $2.60 each. Sorry I don't have the part #, They're both in use currently.

I don't replace them each tire change, I just bend them sideways and check for cracks.

I tried for automotive ones but they don't come short enough. Other than that they are the same construction wise.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to keep dragging this post back from the dead, but today I went to our only two area multi-line dealers (Honda + others) and a local bike repair shop and all they would show me in valve stems were the 1 3/16" not-short-enough auto style. Both the dealers' shop guys said they have to order the 7/8" stems from the factories and claimed to not have any available besides the longer auto stems. One mechanic said that's all he uses because his customers don't want to pay $8 for the shorter OEM ones. Pete, I'd have to say you're lucky to have such an accomodating dealer.

I then spent an hour and a half at the local NAPA store where the counter people even called their valve stem vendors asking about the suitability of their short, 7/8" industrial valve stems for Z-rated motorcycle duty. The vendor's technician said their stems were NOT rated for high speed at all, but for slow heavy equipment.

I would really rather have the OEM style (flexible) rubber valve stems as opposed to the flush-mount metal ones requiring an adapter. The more typical metal "racing" style stems all appear to be pretty close to the 1 3/16" length, although they usually just say "short" without giving any length dimensions, just the hole measurement.

I have had absolutely no luck tracking down any 7/8" stems on the Internet, which I find a little hard to believe, even when I have the name of the company that sells the Honda factory their OEM ones (Pacific Industrial Co LTD).

What do the guys use who are big on the track days and racing? It amazes me that you can buy racing tires everywhere, but no speed-rated valve stems anywhere. Why don't the motorcycle tire vendors sell the stems? Surely some of you guys who work in the business can enlighten me? It's like a cruel joke being played on us suckers that think we want to do our own tire work instead of take them to a dealer.

There, I feel a little better.

I can't believe those bike shops are installing the longer auto stems.

I would think at top speed, they might bend over from the force.

When I get near the Honda dealer again I 'll pick up some more (I'll need them eventually) and give you the part #.

As a side note I use metal valve caps with a rubber seal. At top speed the valve core can actually depress from the force and you'll lose air.

A couple years ago I had the tire flys on my valve stems and the force made the valve stems bend over alot until they just stayed bent over.

When my maintenance shop was putting on a new Road Pilot for me he told me to get ride of the rubber stems if I was going to use the Fly's.

He had just put a new set of rims on his ZX12R and his stock rims were sitting in the corner with a nice set of brass valve stems. The stock stems have a slight 45 degree angle bent into the stem and use a lock nut to hold them rigid. Of couse the balancing of the tire has to make up for the added weight but they look and work good. No I don't have the Tire Fly's any more but the valve stems are polished up nice !

You could probably get them ordered from the Kawasucki shop as stock replacements.

Pete, A Honda part number would be good. The OEM *Pacific* caps on the short rubber valve stems do have the rubber gasket in them, but a lot of the auto stems don't appear to.

John, I've looked at our Napa, AutoZone, and O'Reilly Auto Parts with no luck. There's no PepBoys anywhere around here; Fort Worth is about the closest. I think there might be an AdvanceAutoParts in a town about 30 miles away. Their web site shows some possibilities for metal stems, but I would rather have the rubber, I think, if I can get them.

I picked up 2 more at my Honda dealer. Each one in a seperate Honda bag so it's a regular Honda part. Price now $3.75 each. :roll:

Part # 42753-HF1 -670

Somebody needs to explain to me the magic of Honda part #'s.

I punch it in and it comes up on RonAyers, Directline etc. for $1.09 (figures)

If I go to the microfiche I can't find that # for any of the bikes valve stems I pulled up. I pulled up almost every Honda with tubeless tires on RonAyers. They're all listed as a different # (a lot of them the same #) and about $7 like you said.

42753-HF1-670 VALVE, RIM (TR412) 1 $1.09 This is from http://www.hondaonlineparts.com/search.asp

Can anyone explain this :?:

That's interesting. Doing a Google search on "TR412 valve", I find many references to a short valve stem made in China, but none with Schrader. The Chinese stem is listed as being for autos, ATVs, industrial vehicles, motor cultivators, and motorcycles.

I have a feeling that it is the same valve that the Napa vendor's technician said would not be approved for Z-rated motorcycle tires; but, if it's OK with Honda, it's OK with me.

It looks like the Schrader (who invented the first tire valve) company name may be another to have been sold to Tomkins plc. Who knows whether Schrader actually makes valve stems anymore or not?

This may be turning into a Pub topic instead of Garage.

Pete, thanks again for all your help.

It turns out that the 42753-HF1-670 valve stems are for Honda TRX-450 ATVs.

http://www.worldofpowersports.com/oem/fich...0R-2004-EPC.pdf

Sounds even more like the utility/industrial short stems that the NAPA vendor's tech wouldn't recommend for XX duty. I stopped by our local Michelin auto/truck tire dealer, and he said that he could order the TR-412 stems, but that all he used them on were lawn mowers and utility cart wheels, and "stuff like that". He was sure the caps would not have gaskets in them.

Sounds like the aftermarket metal valve caps with the gaskets is a good idea.

Damn, I never even thought of ATVs, DUH. :roll:

What diff. mechanically could there be though? My Honda dealer sells me stems for ATV's for my 180 MPH XX. (doesn't even ask what it's for)

Just read in the new Motorcyclist that the valve is to keep the air in while filling ONLY. The cap is for while in use.

Yep, better run a metal cap with rubber gasket.