CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake question

BIG BOY

If someone was to put another front end on their bike.

So the linked brakes would be gone.

And if you left the rear brakes the same as what is on the BB now, what would you have to do to the rear to get the brakes to function properly??

Would it just be some kind of loop? Or would you have to put another kind of master cylinder on????

I doubt you'll need a new master cyl, the one you already have is squeezing 4 pistons stock. I think if you put in a link hose between the 2 lines on the rear caliper (like the de-linking kit has) you'll be fine

How about if this person would do a double banjo setup and have both brake lines run to the back

That's the ticket, Don. Two lines stacked on the rear master to the two fittings on the rear caliper, that's how mine's set up.

You can actually clean up the rear end even more than that.

I am using a XX front and rear end on my cafe racer project and de-linked the brakes by drilling a crossover hole to connect the three pistons.

1. Pull the caliper apart and remove the three pistons, the bleeders, and the banjo bolts completely.

2. In the center piston well, drill a 3/16 hole right smack dab in the center. There is a crossover passage just below this surface that links the two outer pistons together. Make sure you only drill deep enough to hit that crossover passage.

3. Clean the chips out and re-assemble the caliper.

4. The brake line from the rear master cylinder can stay attached as it normally is. The other line that runs to the proportioning valve can be removed. Plug the banjo bolt hole on the rear caliper.

5. Bleed the system out. Make sure you bleed both bleeder screws to make sure there are no trapped bubbles.

That's it, you now have a de-linked, three piston rear caliper.

Byrdman