CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bulb brightness

Guest rockmeupto125

Guest rockmeupto125

I asked for some feedback on this previously, and there didn't seem to be too much information. So I did my own research, and now there is no more information, but at least more quantified opinion. So here goes.....

Wondering about the relative brightness of bulbs.....especially after being disappointed with some purchases, I made an optical testing bench, consisting of a light source, a means of stabilizing that light source, and means of measuring the relative strength of light from that source. Stripped photo meter provided the photocell, and my digital voltmeter would offer a consistant numeric translation of the photocell's enervation.

Four different bulbs were tested. All were dual filament 1157 bayonet bulbs such as would be used in the front turn signals. Only the secondary filament was used in this testing....that being the brightest one. The light source was clamped in a consistent orientation with the filament 14 inches from the face of the photometer and a measurement was taken in some fractions of volts....the scale was unknown, and chosen only to have whole numbers display on the voltmeter, rather than 0.0000049.

First up.....a standard Stanley 23/8 bulb.

the bare bulb earned an ECROSS (electrical conversion rating of some sort)of 92.5, and after 60 seconds of burn was measured at 199 degrees Fahrenheit. After cooling, it was placed in an OEM amber turn signal housing, where the ECROSS measured 84, and then into a moderately tinted amber housing where it produced and ECROSS of 30.

2nd...a supposedly high output "extreme white" PIAA bulb rated at 27/8 which was extremely disappointing. 71 as a bare bulb, 60 in a turn signal, and 22 in a tinted signal. The temperature, however, was promising...as a bare bulb 60 seconds into the test, it measured 342 degrees.

3rd...the real deal. High output 55/10 Halogen. A first place ECROSS of 170 bare, 144 in the signal, and 84 in the tinted signal. And 399 degrees after 60 seconds burn.

4th...as a whim....a silvered amber bulb, rated only at 32/3 cp, not watts.

And an ECROSS of 15 bare. This bulb was not meant to be used in an amber turn signal, so it was not tested in that fashion. A temperature was unobtainable, probably a result of the silvered coating.

Conclusion? Not much. In this case, PIAA is dimmer than a standard bullb, and halogen is mad bright.....nearly twice as bright as OEM as a bare bulb, and close to three times the output of OEM behind a tinted lense.

there..........one more thing off my desktop. :grin:

Interesting test. Did you account for the voltage drop from the battery (I assume) when going through the test?

I'm worried about the big temp change for halogen. DO you think the 400 degrees could last in the turn sig. housings without melting?

I'm all for brighter lights if not too costly. Don't understand the covering of headlights with a mesh sticker just for looks. They must not ride at night.

Adding LED's to your test would also be interesting, knowing they don't get hot.

Put it back on your desktop Joe. :wink: :razz:

Wow... great investigative work there.

So what you saying is.... if you have tinted lenses, then you best go out and buy some Halogen lights, otherwise your an idiot (only if you have already read this post of corse).

See you learn something everyday....

.... Joe likes to tell poeple to smarten up. :wink:

Nice testing. The PIAA findings don't surprise me, every single lightbulb test I've ever read always places PIAA lower than stock for light output.

You say LED cluster bulbs don't fit in our turn signals? Interesting, as I was thinking about trying that. I guess another thing about LED clusters is since they shine forward you don't get the mirror reflection from the back.

YOU'RE FUCKING A RIGHT YOURS ARE THE BRIGHEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I STILL SEE SPOTS IN FRONT OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I THINK I STILL HAVE SOME PEELING SKIN ON MY NECK FROM WHERE I GOT THE SUNBURN FROM THEM FUCKING THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!