CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake caliper pin covers

Pete in PA

I'm sick of those flat discs with a straight slot screw head covering the pins to replace the pads. Everytime I try to remove them they're stuck and I chew the head up a little more.

Does anyone see a problem with just leaving them off?

I've seen other designs with just a bolt head on the end no cover.

I don't see a problem with leaving them off, unless you do a lot of off roading or something :grin: In fact.....I think my front ones have been off for some time now, without any problems.

And think off all that weight you'll be saving too! :razz:

Does anyone see a problem with just leaving them off?

I see a big problem with dirt and crap corroding the threads and making it a bitch to get the pins out.

Ride on one wet road and I'll bet you'll have crap in there.

The right size rubber plug might offer a solution if it could tolerate the temperatures generated by the braking system.

If you really must leave them out, take some silicon (i.e. the black high temp tube) and put an even amount in the hole, but do not smash it in and it will be even easier to remove when you have to do the brakes!

It is very easy to remove when you have to do the brakes.

Pete, my '01 has little plastic caps that snap in rather than the threaded plugs (as on Jerry's '99). You might look into sourcing those as a replacement for what you have. I personally agree that you'd want something keeping the crud out of that hole.