CBR1100XX.org Forum

Speedo recal.

pace

Scot,

Did you get the Jahmal Designs unit?

I'm ticked at the shop that he mentions on his website to purchase from directly, Hare Racing in Sunnyvale. I called last week and was assured (three times during the course of the conversation) that they had it in stock for Hondas. Drove 70 miles the next day to pick it up in person and was told they were out! Grrrrrr!

BTW, I ride with my GPS and found out something interesting. Even though the speedometer reads 9.25% faster than actual, the odometer read the correct mileage. It would seem logical that the odometer should be also read high by a corresponding amount. Will be re-checking that again this weekend.

Yes indeed. Jahmal Designs. I ordered it through the other site he mentions on his site. Got it real fast. Too bad it no workie. I'm sure it will get ironed out though. Another thing surfaced during the install. I have a short somewhere in the area of the boot at the wiring harness. After I moved it around the green neutral light will come on even if the bikes in gear. I'm sure it's no big deal but it will drive me nuts.

Let me know what you find out about the Odometer if you would. I always assumed it would have to be off also.

Joe, works fine when I remove the unit and plug it back in normal. I turned all the switches off on the unit and still no good. I had it up to 55 on the centerstand in first. Right now the damn neutral light has me more worried than anything.

If it continues to do it I'll do away with the plug and go that route. I moved the boot down more and kind of secured all the wires a little better then went for a brief but hard charging ride. All seemed ok but we both know that the damn thing will come on again 200 miles from home.

edit: I mean keep the plug and jump the connections.

Should I expect to be the one to pay for return shipping? This is the first problem I've had with online purchases. I don't know if they want me to or not but I thought I'd ask you folks.

Scot, if you are still having problems with your neutral light, before you do anything drastic, why don't you try squirting some cleaner in your ignition switch. That supplies a negative to a clutch diode that turns on the neutral light. If the switch has something it, it could be providing just enough of a ground to be turning that diode on and off.

It's a long shot, but easy.

Good luck.

Rock, I was pretty ticked off, having to deal with Bay Area traffic in the afternoon for nothing. Didn't let Jim know about it since there is no telephone number listed on his website.

I will post an odometer/GPS update later this weekend on this thread.

Scot, I assume there were no issues with the neutral light prior to installation.

No issues with the light at all up until this. I havn't touched the bike since the discovery. Too much going on.

I've sent the unit back to Jim. He'll wither fix it or send me a new one.

my odo is off too, it was right on with the gps when i had stock gearing and no recalibrator. it now reads about 95 miles when the actual mileage is 100. so the little box is keepin miles off the bike, ya gotta love that.

After reading this I'll leave mine alone. Stock gearing anyway.

If you calibrate at one speed it won't be right at another. You can get your speedo correct but then your odo. will be off. As near as I can tell my odo. is dead nuts. I'd rather it be right then the speedo. :roll:

If you calibrate at one speed it won't be right at another.

The speedo error is realized as a percentage, not a fixed offset. Therefore a re-calibratrion comprising a +/- percentage error correction will work regardless of speed. If you recalibrate at as high a speed as possible, then for all intents and purposes it will be spot-on at lower speeds.

Regarding the comment about the speedo and odo discrepency. With the stock gearing, the speedo overreads but the odo seems to be pretty accurate. If they are driven from the same sensor, then it follows that correcting the sensor output down so that the speedo reads correctly, will result in the odo under-reading. I think this situation is preferrable (accurate speedo, under-reading odo).

-Pace

Okay, had a great ride this morning with several CBR600RR's, 954, something else sport-related and moi on the XX. Surprisingly, I was able to keep up with all but one of the smaller bikes in the twisties.

In the past weeks, I found the speedometer reading 9.25% higher than actual. Today, I cross-checked with the odometer with the GPS. The final tally: Odometer read 121.9; The GPS read 118.90. This equates to reading 2.5% higher than actual.

There is a possibitlity that some of this variation is accountable from altitude differentials since GPS's tend to read more linear (i.e. peak-to-peak) as opposed to the odometer which of course accounts for all variations in altitude. My GPS does have a built-in barometer and may compensate for altitude variations but I will need to do more research on this. I do know that I started out at 100 ft above sea level and reached a peak of 1478 ft elevation.

On a side note, my fuel mileage dropped from an average of 31-32 mpg (all around riding) to 16.89 mpg during today's run (5.8 gallons in 98 miles).

On a side note, my fuel mileage dropped from an average of 31-32 mpg (all around riding) to 16.89 mpg during today's run (5.8 gallons in 98 miles).

Amazing how quickly the fuel goes when you get the revs up, eh?

I burned a full tank in less than 100 miles (just over 80, IIRC) at NeXXt. 2-up, 5K+ the whole time. :grin:

Amazing how quickly the fuel goes when you get the revs up' date=' eh?[/quote']

North, surprised the heck out of me, eh. That was the first time I've kept it that revved up on a ride. Just glad we decided to head back toward town.

That brings up a good point about GPS's. I don't have one but don't they compute more line of sight/straight line?

How could it be accurate in the twisties? They're good to 75- 100yds right?

Roads can do a lot in that space.

2.5% isn't bad though for the odo. I'll leave my bike alone.

Depends on your GPS. Some have barometric altimeters, and most are way more accurate than 75-100 yards. Mine averages between 12-18 feet

2.5% is about the error I get on my odo as well.

Forgot to mention, the 9.25% error with everything stock.

Newer GPSs are equiped with WAAS correction, which can further increase accuracy. I've seen mine down to about 5 feet. Most of the time it reads 12-20 feet accuracy.

As far as the question about the twisties, I purchased the additional map program that can be downloaded to the unit. So far, it has continually/accurately tracked me on all backroads.