CBR1100XX.org Forum

CBR900 Shock for the Rear

partmonster

Andy was telling me that one can use a CBR900 shock. I searched for such information and only found a post for the spring.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject please. Hows about posting in the Mods section of homepage?

What year CBR900 and what spring to use?

Thanks ahead of time for your help. I weigh in at 220 so I would like the adjustability.

Louie

FWIW, I sent my CBR900 shock to Traxxion Dynamics for a freshen up, and got tongue-lashed for it. The guy was very knowledgeable, and wasn't hostile, but the conversation was frought with phrases like "I can't polish a turd", "you've got a great bike--don't put a POS shock on it", and "I wish people would come to their senses". He explained why this wasn't any really better than the stock XX shock in technical terms (I was smiling and nodding at that point). It all seemed to make sense, and the guy really did seem to have my best interests in mind. Wound up getting the Penske sport shock. He explained that after what I paid for the used shock, a new spring, and a freshen up, I was within $100 for a "real" shock.

Don't mean to knock anyone, just thought I'd share...

Guest Jetpilot5

I had a Penske Sport Shock from Traxxion on my VFR too. It was a huge improvement over the stocker. When I traded for the XX, I put the stock shock back on the VFR and sold the Penske for $300. It wound up only costing me $275 to run the Penske on my VFR and I'll most likely do the same thing on the XX if I decide I can't live with the stock setup. Something to consider.

FWIW, I sent my CBR900 shock to Traxxion Dynamics for a freshen up, and got tongue-lashed for it. The guy was very knowledgeable, and wasn't hostile, but the conversation was frought with phrases like "I can't polish a turd", "you've got a great bike--don't put a POS shock on it", and "I wish people would come to their senses". He explained why this wasn't any really better than the stock XX shock in technical terms (I was smiling and nodding at that point). It all seemed to make sense, and the guy really did seem to have my best interests in mind. Wound up getting the Penske sport shock. He explained that after what I paid for the used shock, a new spring, and a freshen up, I was within $100 for a "real" shock.

Don't mean to knock anyone, just thought I'd share...

That would have been "Max' I bet

Max is a pretty sharp feller, but he's also a salesman. He taught the suspension school I attended at the VIR rogue track day a few years ago. He had some real interesting things to say..alot of it made sense....but he and a friend of mine butted heads alot about suspension and setups.

He pretty much ragged LDH for choosing his ohlins and adapted that dan kyle had set up for him

And if you've ever been on the WERA race board you've seen Dan and Max get into some seriously ridiculous arguments....Max ends up looking like a major ass

Thats not to say Max doesn't know his dookie.....but if you score a 900RR shock for $50, put $100 into a spring made for you and the weight of your bike combined, and $40 into freshening it up (internals and oil) I can't see how that equates to anything close to $600 for a penske

Like I said...he's a salesman afterall