CBR1100XX.org Forum

Engine Missing (car not bike)

The Krypt Keeper

Well my wifes car started missing the other day, (97' Thunderbird 4.6 V8)this caused the engine service light to come on and start blinking. This sets off the code of missing 40 times in 200 complete firing cycles.

I figured it was time for a good service anyway with 140k miles on it. I had just put in new plugs not long ago. But the place didn't have the wires at the time and never got around to getting in wires. So I got some new wires($52 *ouch*) and a couple hours curseing the asshole that designed how the plug wires ran I was done and still had a miss.

Now I am pissed :evil: I got the timing light out and tried it on each plug wire to make sure they were all firing at least. I found one that was firing but definetly at a slower rate than all the others..

Now is it the coil pack itself or could the computer be also a culprit?

Each coil is $75 but damn if the computer is also a problem I am sure they aren't cheap :sad:

Anyone got any info that can help me chase this down without letting the stealer ass rape me for labor charges...

Swap the coils, and see if that miss changes to another cylinder (keep track of which coil was the culprit to compare).

If that same coil output is missing when switched, then it's your coil.

If it was computer related, then you would lose 2 cylinders as you have what's called a "wasted spark" ignition system. Meaning it fires two cylinders at once - one of them at TDC compression (or near it), and the other during valve overlap.

Hope it helps.

We had this problem on our Expedition but it actually was the wires. The ford dealership had it in for an oil change and they checked it out for free and told us it had bad wires on two cylinders. They told my wife to just change those two. Of course I was like screw that...might as well change em all while Im in there. HOLY SHIT! I gave up and just changed the two. I can totally relate to what you mean about who designed that layout. It works well but dayum its a bitch to work with.

I had to completely remove the alternator :shock: Take off the radiator hose from the top of the rad to the thermostat housing, plus had to yank off the air intake hose from the airbox to the throttle body...

Plus her car is so damn low to the ground that you have to basically lay on the engine to work on anything..

:shock: please don't say that ....

I don't mind easy things to work on.. My bro-in-law blew a head gasket on his little Mercury wagon.. took 2 hours (hour and 45 minutes of it was getting shit out of my way) but had it sitting on the table like nothing. I started when he left to take his kids back to his exwife. When he got back I had it waiting for the new gasket and what not.

I love to turn wrenchs, he didn't even know I was going to do it for him. He just said he needed to remove the head when he got back. :lol:

Right now I have his pulling tractor motor torn apart downstairs waiting on a new bearing for the output shaft.