CBR1100XX.org Forum

Melted wires

NoOne65

Is there anything you can do about wires melting at the connection...ie RR and Start solenoid? I went into the wrap and the wires are fine, its just where they connect at the RR and the solenoid

Heating at the connector is usually due to loose or corroded connectors.

The problem is, if they got hot enough to melt the insulation, then the conductor may be damaged too.

I have used shrink tubing to replace damaged insulation.  

And I have replaced the connector pins with new.

But be careful.  Most connectors that you buy at a box store are low quality, plated stuff that corrodes quickly, and will put you in the same place again.

A good electrical supply house or appliance store will have full copper spade male/ female lugs. These will not have the little plastic insulator on them.  First you crimp the connector to the wire, then solder the connector to the wire.

Put shrink tubing over the wires before crimping, make sure that the tubing is far away from the heat before soldering.

Having wires failed on both the R/r  and starter seems strange.

I would read and follow the charging trouble shooting guide, before going too far.

Post pictures of the connector and wire damage.

It will help us see where the damage starts and ends.

Ive already cut and soldered terminals...they are just ones I got from auto parts store...my bike is '97 so no idea when it might have happened. The RR wires happened in the last few months as the RR died low as well