CBR1100XX.org Forum

Master Links

RTGwalt

I couldn't hijack the other guys topic so I moved it here....

RTGwalt Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I the only NUT that can't live with this "rivet" crap!?!  

The bike comes from the factory with an endless chain. All the links are like the others. NO RIVET CRAP!! Why do we have to put up with riveting the chains? I would rather take apart the swing arm to install an endless chain - like the one that came on the bike new - than live with the f*king rivet!  

Paranoid...I know. But why? Why can't we order them? They're putting them on new bikes at the factory!  

RTG

umm......how do you think the chain gets to be in a circle? Do you think it was born that way?    Hint.......somebody riveted the ends together......
Have you noticed on the bikes where the chain goes through the swingarm, Hayabussa, ZRX12, etc. they have a rivet link from the factory.

I challenge you to find a "rivet link" on the original chain that came on the bike from the factory...one that you can point to and say "this is the link where they joined the two ends together". :)

Yes...they are all riveted links, but they're not the flimsy (master) links that you find in your replacement chain kit. They are the strong, machine stamped links and I'm sure you'll find every link is identical to the one next to it. :razz:

No, it doesn't count unless you've owned the bike since day one to know it hasn't been replaced. :wink:

RTG

A better challenge would be to challege someone to find some info/statistics that indicate using a rivet master link is an issue. I mean if you are fresh out of stuff to worry about so be it. How often do you hear of a chain failure due to a rivet master link? If this is an issue please enlighten me. I personally have never heard anyone say anything about it ever.

A better challenge would be to challege someone to find some info/statistics that indicate using a rivet master link is an issue.

At 150mph....it's an issue to me. Just like some people can't live with a plugged tire, I find it hard to live with the replacement chain's rivet link. But then again...I wacked in the head ! :shock: :twisted: :lol: :sad:

RTG

A better challenge would be to challege someone to find some info/statistics that indicate using a rivet master link is an issue.

At 150mph....it's an issue to me. Just like some people can't live with a plugged tire, I find it hard to live with the replacement chain's rivet link. But then again...I wacked in the head ! :shock: :twisted: :lol: :sad:

RTG

Most of us who have any miles on our bikes...enough to have replaced the chain...have been well over 150mph on our measley rivet master link chains. I can't fault you for being cautious though. :wink: At 150mph chain failure...at least due to the rivet master link...is way down on my list of shit to be worried about.

A plugged tire is damaged goods, and I can see worrying about it.

Riveted master links are proven and reliable when properly installed, I can't see any realistic comparison between the two. I'm with Brett, there's way better thing to worry about :grin:

Has anyone done the picture thing, step by step, on how to replace the chain? It's on my list of things to do, eventually. It's one of the few things I usually have my shop do for me, mostly because I don't want to mess with it, or screw it up. It's like forks... I'd rather leave it up to the professional.

What tools are needed?

How do you break the old chain from the bike?

What's the reassembly process?

the thing with the rivet links is to ensure it,s been properly fitted.i bought my bike from a honda dealer second hand.it was a year old and they had just replaced the chain and sprockets.a few weeks after i had the bike the master link failed as i was coming out of a corner doing around 170 kph. luckily no one got hurt as the chain just spat itself out the back and the riders behind were far enough away not to get hit by it.the dealer ended up replacing the link but they had what looked to me to be 15 year old kids fit it.instead of peening the ends of the link over they chiselled it down the centre and hammered the two halves over.i took my bike straight from there to a reputable mech who replaced it properly.that was about 60 000klms ago and when i have the chains replaced i buy from whoevers got the best price and then take it to a real mech for fitment and have had no probs since.

a few weeks after i had the bike the master link failed as i was coming out of a corner doing around 170 kph

That's what I'm worried about. I know there are more stories like this and I don't want to add to the list.

It freaks me out man :shock:

Currently...I have the original chain on my XX. You can bet it will get the best care to make sure I don't have to cross that bridge anytime soon. But when I do...I want an endless chain. I'm willing to take off the swingarm to install it.

RTG

G2 and I just bought a Pro Motion Jumbo Chain Tool ( $133 at Chapparal-Racing). It "breaks" the old chain, presses on the new side plate and peens the ends of the master link's pins. Works great. Pushes the pins out of a link to remove the old chain. Fit new chain on, insert master link. Change attachment on the chain tool that hold the side plate to it. Measure width of links on either side of new master and press new side plate on to match. Make sure link is not binding or kinking. Change out that attachment for the one that peens the pins. Peen the pins and there you have it. We did mine a couple of weeks ago and have put 300-400 miles on bike. No problems. Just helped TJ ( Staish's other half) do his XX last weekend. Sorry Rich, did not think to take pics. :oops:

I am not sure why you are worried about this link thing? If you are going to use (Poida) case that he had, well you might want to buy your self the tool that is needed to do the job so some 15 year old rookie does not fuck your bike up by instaling the link wrong!

I did mine for the first time last season and have yet to have a problem!

I think it is safe to say you are worring about something that only happends if someone does not know what they are doing! :roll:

Bottom line is, none makes a chain that is already ready to use with out putting on the link, reason is that some need there chain shorter and some need it longer! So with that said...........go get the tool and when it is time for you to replace your chain (and you will have to at some point in the game) you can do it the right way and not have to worry about the chain blowing off at 150+ MPH! :bike:

but they're not the flimsy (master) links that you find in your replacement chain kit

:loony:

I've heard of clip master links to fail, but not riveted.....

As others said, no need to worry. Plus I don't know if the endless chains are available anymore. They were very expensive !

Cheers,

According to DID, their rivet link is 95% as strong as any of the other links in the chain.

With that said on any bike like ours with a standard swingarm they come from the factory with an endless chain. If the chain runs through the swingarm like Hayabussa, ZRX 12, CBR 1000R etc. it has a rivet link from the factory just like the one you can install with the motion pro tool.

Now I hesitate to share this but here goes. Whan my factory chain expired at 17,000 miles I put on a DID ZVM chain with a clip type masterlink. The side plate is held on with friction then the clip goes on.

I'm now at 42,000 miles and I've only found the clip gone once and replaced it. Don;t know how far I traveled without it but I do look a lot. And yes I've seen 170 (on speedo) several times.

Rivet links are a relatively new thing. Clips have been on big, fast bikes into the mid 80's with no problems.

When this chain expires I WILL use a rivet link. I'll have to beg, borrow, or steal a rivet tool though.

I'm now at 42,000 miles and I've only found the clip gone once and replaced it

:shock:

Uhm...what Joe said !!!

This should not happen ........

A friend of mine got stranded with his VFR750, when the masterlink clip broke.

He had to replace more then just the chain, plus the bike had to be towed - complete lock up !

Hey, thanks for reminding me, my clip DID break, I found half of it imbedded in the chain goo at the front sprocket cover when I cleaned.

No issues for me, side plate still there, didn't even move. I just put on a new clip. These sideplates go on with a lot of force. I used a C-clamp to put it on.

I tried safety wire, I must need a different technique. Centrifugal force keeps removing wire. (and apparently clip once).

WALT...........  

The endless, looped, "already assembled in a 110 link piece with the "factory" rivet link that you cannot distinguish from any other link" chain is available from Diamond Chain. See your local distributer and ask them to order part number XLO-15548-110P. It is the completely assembled version of the 530-XLO chain. They are presently in stock, but the warehouse could not supply me with prices.  

Hope that helps.

Joe...You have accomplished what I could not. I hounded the dealer, everything.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy !!!

RTG

Another alternative to safety wiring the master link is to thourghly clean the link and use RTV silicone. Granted there is really no strength, but it seems to keep the clip from coming off. After putting the clip on you should apply some back tension on the clip. I mean you need to push the pins back through the sideplate with the clip on it. Hope this makes sense!

I used this technique on my '91 FJ 1300 for 25,000 miles with no ill effects. I know Yamaha didn't make an FJ 1300, I did. My FJ actually has 142rwhp,with more torque than my XX.

OK, I'm done! Last night found my 2nd clip gone!

I'm at 24K miles on this ZVM chain with very little stretch, kinking, or wear.

I just ordered a 530ZVM from White Buffalo for $112 to my door and I WILL rivet it.

Also just got May's Motorcyclist. Turn to page 44 and there is a picture of a rivet link on a brand new R1. Not endless chain.

If you use the DID Chain (ZVM) the DID tool is absolutely the best because it is built to set the side plate to the exact position and then the tool that peens the pin does it to the exact amount and form without cracking the edges. You would really have to work at it to botch an installation with that tool.