CBR1100XX.org Forum

What temps are your bikes running??

Warren in Atlanta

Warren, do a search on "overheating" "waterwetter" or "temperature" and you'll find plenty of reading, but in short, there's nothing wrong with your bike. They all run a bit hot, but reports of actual overheating are rare.

Thanx Redbird...I did a search on Temperature before I posted and didn't see a whole lot. I'll try Overheating. I figured there was nothing wrong I just know that 220 is a little warm on other bikes that I have had, but then the NASCAR guys aren't even happy till they get up around 240 :???: The thing that seems a little wierd is that it goes from 185 when ya stop, up to 220 in such a short time, maybe 15 seconds

When your "normal" riding consists of many stoplight-to-stoplight runs, I don't think a temp around 210-220 is too far out of family when running in traffic. My '99 only has the analog gauge (sans numbers), but it was obvious early on that the bike was happiest running in clean undisturbed air, no matter what the ambient temperature was. My RC51 will usually show around 180 when thoroughly warmed up on the road, but will go to 220 in traffic rather quickly, but the fan kicks in and holds the temperature in that area until I can get some more clean air flowing through the radiator. You can investigate the use of additives like WaterWetter (I'm using it in my Bird right now), but I would say that as long as the fan can dissipate the heat load, I wouldn't worry about it. Just ride it.

220 is running cool for me in summer traffic, fan is on 100% of time.

Not sure if fan running so much isn't bad on the charging system. Was told once by local Honda dealer that when they sold Blackbirds over half was return for heating problems. His advice was to stay out of city traffic if at all possible.

New '02 (leftover) and I've put nearly 3K on the odometer. I run about 175 to 180 when rolling good, sometimes less if it is colder outside (she ran 160 one night recently coming home in sub 30 degree temps), she climbs up to a stable 220 when sitting at a light, but as soon as I get daylight and rip, she drops right back down to 175-180. Fan is on while stopped, but seems to go out once I get rolling good, if I'm matching sounds correctly at that speed.

normal.

mine runs in those conditions consistantly between 210 and 235. constant cruise for 5+ minutes 55mph+ on 90+ days it rarely goes below 190.

this is with honda blue coolant, water wetter, and mobil1 15/50 syn and regular unleaded (runs hotter on super)

big engine, big power, big heat :grin: