CBR1100XX.org Forum

Suspension plan.

Red J

I've looked at most of the threads about suspension, and have come up with the following:

Mine is a 1997 with 25 on the clock.

Ohlins rear shock, 1.05kg springs in the front with 5w or 7.5w oil.

I would like to have Dan Kyle rework the forks, but I'm not prepared to live with the downtime (should have been thinking about this months ago...) and I could save the money for a bit. I fully intend to have him work them over this next winter, but I'm trying to get the most benefit out of them for now.

Does this sound like a decent plan?

- J.

Just looking to get the most that I can without sending it out or working on it all the time. :wink:

I haven't had any exp. with the dealers in KC. KC's a few hours away (I know, lousy excuse...)

- J.

What is Dan's turnaround time? When I talked to him, he was just healing from an injury, and was a little behind in his work.

Two other suspension experts who have a similar theory of reworking Honda forks to what Dan does, are Jim Lindemann at Lindemann Engineering, and Stig Peterson at Peterson Pro suspension.

None of these guys believe in replacing the pistons with other units with huge holes. (like you would find in a Race Tech "gold valve" or with the pistons supplied by Traxxion) If they increase the flow through the piston, it is only to match the flow that flows through an Ohlins fork. They all perform modifications to reduce stiction, and make changes to the shim stack.

Just change the oil & springs yourself for this summer, then have them reworked over next winter if you're concerned with down time. The springs alone will make a huge difference.

Use the factory weight oil with the factory valving, too. Let the experts tell you which oil you should be running after modification.