CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to get new keys made?

hillbillyxx

When I bought my 2000xx it came with one home made bent key. Whats the best way to find the key number or to just have a new key made? I don't feel that making a new key off of the bent one is an option. What's the best way to find the number of the switch:?:

A good Honda parts guy, who can cut the keys, should be able to match the cams on the cutter with your key, otherwise just take it to the locksmith with a blank from your Honda dealer, or from Ron Ayers

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0351/han...ridge_99_03.cfm

Part Number: 35121-MAS-G01

Description: KEY, BLANK (TYPE1)

Price: $6.44

I assume you don't have the metal little plate with the key number....

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

I had the same problem... (bent key) (from opening the gas tank when it keeps sticking shut)

I took it to a locksmith. They had the correct key style in stock and bent the key back to 'correct' and cut me a new one.

$3

Are you saying they don't have them in stock ?! If they did it should be easy to find out....

Can you take a picture of the key and post here, I could take it to my dealer, to verify type 1 or 2, or do as Nik sugested....

BTW, both www.ronayers.com and www.bikebandit.com show only one type, Type-1, for the 99-03 XX... but my dealer shows two... :roll:

Cheers,

I now know that the key code is inside the cas cap lid. If it has an a or b in the code it's type 1. With a c or d in the code it's type 2.

The part number for 1 is 35121-kw3-771

For number two it's 35122-kw3-771

Customer relations at American Honda can be very helpful.

It's cool, except double check the Honda part numbers. They look like the shorter key numbers for the '97 and '98 model :!:

The new keys (from '99 on ) have 8 digits and no letters on the metal tag, where the old, short key had a letter and then 3, 4 or 5 digits stamped on the key itself .....

Cheers,