CBR1100XX.org Forum

FRONT SUSPENSION AND CHAIN

madrazcbr

Hi Everyone,

Need some advice.

1) When should the fork oil being replaced ? Yearly ? Every 20k km ? Could not find this info in the user manual.

2) I have just change the sprocket and chain. Honda original sprocket and a DID chain. My chain only last 22k km. I just wonder how some of you can get 20k miles with your chain. My bird is Euro spec and the rear sprocket has 44 tooth. I know the chain should have 110 link. What will be the effect on the bike if the chain link is more let say 115 or less 105 ?

Appreciate any advice as I going for a long journey soon. Going to Phuket for the bike week and Water Festival(Songkran) in April.

Every 20K or every other year should be enough for the fork oil.

You can't install a shorter or longer chain as there isn't enough adjustment to compensate for it. If you installed a much larger or much smaller rear sprocket, then you may need a longer or shorter chain to match, but that would be the only reason to alter the length.

I got 38K km out of my chain, but it was toast around 30K. Maxima Chain Wax when I remember, and I never clean it.

Your mileage may vary........ :grin:

Hi Northman,

Thank for the info. Will do the fork oil change soon.

And for the chain, I also used Maxima Chain Wax and clean it up quite frequently by applying WD40 followed by the wax. Somehow or rather after the 20k km, every 200 or 300 km I have to readjust the chain. When it reach 22k km, I just cannot take it anymore and decided to replace it.

Anyhow thanks for the info.

Quit cleaning it, and I mean that.

You can clean your sideplates, but using the WD40 just removes all of the wax you've been installing previous.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, I'm not exactly easy on the bike, either. :wink:

Fork oil... it depends on how you aggressively you ride. If you ride like I do, fairly aggressively and put about 12K per year then do it every year as it breaks down quickly. REcently I tried the Bel-Ray racing fluid and swear by that stuff (bought from Ron Ayers).

Chains should be oiled every 500 miles (cleaned if possible) and adjusted while the bike is either on it's side stand or with rider weight on it... most adjust it while on the center stand making it too tight thus wears much quicker.

Food for thought...

Steve

For the fork oil any suggestion on the brand. Is it better to put more fork oil to get a harder and stable ride ? Or should I just follow the OEM level ? What would be the different in term of handling when the front suspension soft or hard ?

I was being told that if I want to put Hawkeoiler, I need to hook it up with the fuel injection system. This is actually to control the drip of the oil to the chain is it true ? I try not to do any modification on the bike. Had always heard of the advantage of this automatic chain oiler but is it really that good compare to spray can type that most people use... any comments

Different people different story. The more the story the better conclusion you get...

Fork oil is a lot like engine oil. Most quality brands are equal, but people have their own preferences and opinions.

Stick with the stock grade.

Raising the oil height has a similar effect as stiffening the springs. Will definitely reduce the amount of braking dive, overall travel, etc., but can make for a harsher ride, especially with the stock valving.