CBR1100XX.org Forum

Get a tune up

Chewtoy

Sent the bird in for a full tune up and valve adjust @ 31k miles.

Valves (no adjust needed), plugs, timing, carb remove and clean, new fuel filters, petcock diaphragm leaking vacuum and replaced. That's all.

Did not realize how much it had fallen off until riding it. Lordy mama, she's so smooth and fast now, it's a real effort to keep her below 90. This bike is the tits again. Money well spent.

Valves (no adjust needed), plugs, timing, carb remove and clean, new fuel filters, petcock diaphragm leaking vacuum and replaced. That's all.

Did not realize how much it had fallen off until riding it. Lordy mama, she's so smooth and fast now, it's a real effort to keep her below 90. This bike is the tits again. Money well spent.

Hate to ask but what was the cost??

Hate to ask but what was the cost??

Labor was $500, parts total another $225

Would have been less if I bought my own spark plugs. Also the valve cover gasket was shot, almost $70 for that alone. :(

Ouch....

No wonder I do all my own Maintenance on everything I own. Spendy it is.

Of coarse... it's spendy on my time....

but.... it also saves my sanity... I have trust issues with Everybody elses work.

Ouch....

No wonder I do all my own Maintenance on everything I own. Spendy it is.

Of coarse... it's spendy on my time....

but.... it also saves my sanity... I have trust issues with Everybody elses work.

Yeah, it was about $300 more than I thought it would be. It's the last time I go the full boat tune @ the shop, even though the guy is a good wrench.

Another question I have is this: How do you find a mechanic whom you can trust to do the job right?

If you must use a mechanic...

1. Ask reputable people who do they trust.... And why.

2. First question to the Mechanic... When can you get it done.. If the answer is today.. Look for another Mechanic. A really good mechanic will be back logged for weeks out.... Year round.

3. And lastly... Talk to the mechanic, ask him about things like what Oil he recommends and why... Get a feel for him.. Is he smarter than you can comprehend.. Or just a good salesman?

Another question I have is this: How do you find a mechanic whom you can trust to do the job right?

Word of mouth usually. I'm lucky that when I had my XX and other bikes, there's one shop that is always talked about by other riders and praised. I used them. 2 man shop. The owner, who's a good mechanic himself. And his lead mechanic who's practically a 2 wheel scientist. They've been working together for over 20 years. Do excellent work and are very cool guys to talk to as well.