CBR1100XX.org Forum

Checked valve lash

XXBirdSlapper

Ok,

So I tore down the bird to do multiple maintenance items and upgrades. 15K valve lash inspection was in order. What the fuck is up with the radiator mounting design?? Is there any reason not to open up the notches in the plastic panel that the top radiator mounting tabs pass through?

You know, the ones that do not allow the radiator to swing forward because the rubber grommets within those tabs prevent the two pieces from sliding apart easily...?

It is a PITA. I did mine at about 30k and have not checked them sice. Guess I am due to do that this winter while I have the body work off it for paint n repair.

I now have 67k on the clock. :icon_redface:

Checked mine for the 2nd time on my 99 XX this spring at 77K and all was well. I don't think I'll ever go the trouble again, but will probably do a check on my 01 since I've never checked them. I have had it a little over a year and it has 24K.

I did the PAIR block off to my 99 and just pull the valve cover off from the top without messing with the radiator. Its tight between frame rails, and it also still has the original gasket with no leaks.

From what I'm seeing, I think when I have to do a valve check on my ZX14R, I'm going to appreciate how easy the XX is. Monocoupe frames suck when it comes this kind of maintenance.

Ok, the top end is buttoned up, BUT while I am working on the rest of the project I was checking the manual and see mention on 8-26 installation of air joint and orings. I honestly didn't pay attention to these tubes and wanted to ask you all if it needs to be checked, or if it is inconsequential when pulling and reinstalling the valve cover.

These parts appear to feed the pair valves in the cover assembly, and there are 4 of them. Now is the time to remove the cover if needed, but if it is something that does not normally warrant attention I will leave as is. I am guessing that they would not fall off when pulling the cover but want to be sure.

I never had them on mine since it came with the pair valve blockoff plates when I bought it. I guess a visual inspection couldn't hurt.

I never had them on mine since it came with the pair valve blockoff plates when I bought it. I guess a visual inspection couldn't hurt.

are you sure they were not there? With space at a premium I didn't even notice them. Curious if they are a recessed, press, or secure fit. If so I won't pull the cover. Well, at least if I don't hear horror stories. I find NOTHING about them when I search......

• 3 weeks later...

I am guessing that I have no issues with the tubes. Did about 2000 miles without the engine suffering a catastrophic failure this last weekend.

All my pair valve and air hoses are in a box in my shop not on the bike.

I have never had any issues with the way the bike runs.

• Upvote 1

I am not sure I am understanding what you are calling the air joint hoses. The pair valve block off was already done to my nike when I got it. The covers and hoses were in a box of parts that came with the bike.

When I had the valve cover off to check the lash there was nothing to fall anywhere. Therefore I am not sure what you mean.

Sorry bud.