CBR1100XX.org Forum

IPAQ, GPS and mounting

tumbleweed

Hi guys,

I'm back after been away for a while :lol: Didn't do anything on the bike since installing the microlight indicators :cry:

Question: Did any of you install a IPAQ on your bikes? I bought one the other day and am thinking of buying GPS hard- and soft-ware. Currently I'm looking at decent mounts for the IPAQ, seems to be a lot to choose from. I'm really interested in your experiences. Did a search on the forum on IPAQ, didn't find anything.

TNX,

Tumbleweed.

I went with the marine unit (Garmin 176) for its waterproof housing and large (easy on the eyes) screen, and unlimited memory capacity via plug-in 32/64/128 mb chips. I just slip it into a clear map pocket on my tank bag - works fine.

I don't think the IPAQs are weatherproof which would make them close to useless on a bike.

Your right there Mithrandir, though HP do have a waterproof and dustproof jacket for the IPAQ. I haven't tested it though.

I like the idea of slipping it in the tank bag, hadn't thought of that :oops: , tnx anyway for your replies.

Tumbleweed

• 4 weeks later...

I am interested in this idea too. Has anyone tried one the the newer PDA's for GPS navigation on their Birds? They would cost about the same as the Garmin V unit ($500.00) Currently I am using a separate MP3 player and a friends GPS receiver. I would love the idea of an all-in-one system. The additional benefits of the Pocet PC OS alone would be cool.

Anyone tried this? Anyone?

Ps. I don't care about it being waterproof (sun only for me and the Bird).

I am interested in this idea too. Has anyone tried one the the newer PDA's for GPS navigation on their Birds? They would cost about the same as the Garmin V unit ($500.00) Currently I am using a separate MP3 player and a friends GPS receiver. I would love the idea of an all-in-one system. The additional benefits of the Pocet PC OS alone would be cool.

Anyone tried this? Anyone?

Ps. I don't care about it being waterproof (sun only for me and the Bird).

I'm in the process of trying this right now. I recently purchased a Sharp Zaurus 5500 (linux based PDA) and also purchased the Holux compact flash GPS receiver ultra. I haven't had time to try it out yet and the Linux based GPS software is a little more limited and rare. Once I get everything figured out, I will report back. My guess is with a Windows based PDA this process would be straight forward and work okay. I expect this to work pretty well on mine once it is figured out. I also want to plays MP3s very well. I like the idea of being able to store the MP3s on SD or MMC cards and using the compact flash GPS.