CBR1100XX.org Forum

Battery Tender for Autos

DBLXX

Most are. Mine has a three position (bike/watercraft), Car, and maintenance (shows a snowflake).

I've used it to overnight charge my cars battery when it needs it, then I pop it back on the bike and select maintenance.

i use this one of my cars too. works fine, just takes longer.

untitled.bmp

+1 same here...

Note: if the battery's dead, or its charge level is too low (below 3.0v I think) the trickle charger won't initiate charging current (the status lights won't go on) - an inherent safety feature. You can trick the charger into working if you jump the battery with another 12v source/batt and then disconnect the source. These trickle chargers are slow, about 1 amp/hr, but they do work.

I used my waterproof Battery Tender Jr on both my bike and my truck that owned at the time. I rode so much back them (40mpg on the bike vs 15 on my F150) that the truck's battery would go dead. It didn't help that my siren and light setup drained the battery 24/7.

If the bike was plugged in I'd switch it over to the truck when I got on her, and vice versa. Nary a problem.

Use what you use on the bike, or just get another for convenience. I'm using the small one I had for the bike on my vette.

Not sure about your experience with the Goldwing, but I find that I really don't need it on the Blackbird. It doesn't seem to draw much when the bike is not used. If I don't ride for a few weeks, I might put the tender on it for a day to top it off. For the winter, I just pull the battery out in December, since it's in cold detached garage. Easy enough to put back if we get a nice day for a ride. Unlike a regular battery, the AGM rarely loses any power when disconnected for a few months. If I put the charger on it now, it would read "charged" after just a few minutes.