CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear brake pedal feels heavy.

hillbillyxx

The LBS may contribute somewhat to what you are experiencing. Actually, I use the rear mostly for some trail braking, and for holding the bike at intersections when I have to make some kind of equipment adjustment. Most of my earnest braking is accomplished through the front brake, with the use of only one or two fingers, so I don't consider that heavy pressure at all. If you are new to this size and class of motorcycle, it may be prudent to practice some controlled emergency stops in a parking lot to become more familiar with the bike's capabilities. Please don't think I am trying to talk down to you, but what is unsaid in your post suggests that your acquiring an XX was a considerable step up in performance over what you were used to previously. And welcome to the board.

The rear brake feels a little squishy right? Don't worry about it. It shouldn't bite the same as the front as JRDXX indicates. It helps control rear wheel lock (by design? Dunno).

I didn't mean to imply that it didn't have excellent brakes. The front brakes really get the job done. The heavy pedal pressure as jdrx suggests is probably tied to the linked braking system but it feels weird as heck. I amost think it was better with two indepependent systems that gave the rider complete control.

jdrx I understand your warning about learning how it works and no offense taken. I did try it out in the early am hours at the local Wal Mart to learn a little. It seems bikes have come a long way since my RD400 and GS700 days. This Honda was looked forward to for 15 years while I finished my child support obligation and I don't like the thought of dropping it through my ignorance. :bike:

Glad to hear you didn't take offense. If you do a search on the site, you will find that delinking kits for the Blackbird are available, and several board members here and abroad have gone that route. I haven't, as I simply don't want to deviate from the original stock configuration, and consider the performance improvement to be 1) limited in light of the involved time and expense, and 2) largely "in one's head", but that's just my personal opinion. Should you decide to go the delinked route later, there are plenty of board members willing to assist you.

By the way, I grew up in Beckley. I miss riding on those roads.