CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch for B.Bird race use??????

knight

In my last race of the season in 2003 I had clutch slip under hard acceleration, I use a standard clutch and springs, I have just taken it apart to measere the service limits, which are 3.8mm for the Clutch disc and 1.9mm for the clutch plate, which are well within the service limits specified in the Honda manual, I have just fitted some uprated springs which are about 5mm longer than standard, so I'm assuming will give that extra bit of bite (but not yet tested)......but what I'm wondering is......do I need to fit an EBC clutch kit?......when I read about them in the catalogue, they did plenty of fancy "race clutches" for the R1's, GSXR's etc.....but the one they offer for the B.Bird is just a replacement for the stock item......dosent seem worth doing to me?.....or have any of you guys used them and noticed a big improvement?.....I would be interested to hear! :wink:

The discs were OK...certainly not blue!....I run a 50 grade fully synthetic oil from Silkolene/Fuchs which is a bike race oil, so it caters for the wet clutch scenario......am still interested to hear from anyone who has knowledge of the EBC B.Bird clutches?????... :sad:

I've got EBC friction plates and uprated springs, only because it was cheaper than buying OEM. No discernable difference in the clutch pressure needed still sweet and light, been in 18 months or so,it's fine, it doesn't slip or grab but then again it isn't being raced in a car.

I only changed mine as part of a few things I messed with because of a shifting problem, if you ask you'll probably find there's a lot of high mileages done on the standard clutch even by the hard rider types, wouldn't be surprised if there was only me that had a new clutch on a standard bike out of the whole board.

Thanks Mick - yes mine is being raced in a car too!....a single seater in the Monoposto 1200 and 750 Motor Club F4 series......what you got yours in - some sort of Caterham 7 type of thing?.....have dou done any engine mods worth talking about?....dont suppose you run a dry sump do you?.....thanks for the notes on the clutch, from what you say i will just carry on with the up-rated springs and see how it goes :wink: