CBR1100XX.org Forum

How many weights do you have on front wheel?

BarryG

Cleaning off my bike yesterday and found 2 wheel weights practically hanging off front wheel. (Just had new Shinkos put on a few weeks ago at shop). Adhesive got loose so put some double-sided tape on them and put back on wheel. Added some black duct tape over for good measure. Did this to the stack of 5 weights on rear wheel which are still in good shape.

I'll go back to shop and have wheel balanced......eventually.

I'm thinking I probably had a couple more but they fell off while riding.

But was wondering how many weights you guys have on the front wheel typically........especially with Shinko's? Is it ok to ride it the way it is now.....I assuming I don't feel a high speed wobble coming?

assuming you don't feel any wobble on your front end, probably no need to re-balance. with the dunlops i used to buy regularly, there would often be no weights needed, just mount 'em with the mark (little yellow circle marking the tire's light spot) at the valve stem.

fewer weights on a properly mounted and balanced tire / wheel assembly is indicative of a precisely manufactured tire.

Cleaning off my bike yesterday and found 2 wheel weights practically hanging off front wheel. (Just had new Shinkos put on a few weeks ago at shop). Adhesive got loose so put some double-sided tape on them and put back on wheel. Added some black duct tape over for good measure. Did this to the stack of 5 weights on rear wheel which are still in good shape.

I'll go back to shop and have wheel balanced......eventually.

I'm thinking I probably had a couple more but they fell off while riding.

But was wondering how many weights you guys have on the front wheel typically........especially with Shinko's? Is it ok to ride it the way it is now.....I assuming I don't feel a high speed wobble coming?

stack of 5 weights?

seems like a lot.

I have used the Shinkos in the past and never had a problem with balancing. They were just as good as other brands, couple of cases I didn't need any weight.

ok....thanks guys. I'll just ride it and see how it feels. Most of my commute is back roads....only about 5 mi freeway, so I rarely go over 140 :icon_silenced: j/k.

Kiwimack, my shop has told me that my Shinkos often require weights as they're not precision balanced from the factory like other tires. I don't have a balancer so I can't vouch.

Seems like I read some place that if you require more than 7 segments (the 1/4 oz size ones) that you need to break the bead and rotate the tire on the rim to a different location and try again. Another note of interest is that the valve stem area is NOT always the heavy spot on a wheel. I've got a NoMar tire changer and a Marc Parnes Balancer and I've come across several wheels that the heavy spot of the wheel is NOT at the valve stem. I thin that in all of the tires that I've mounted and balanced over the last 4 or 5 years, I've only had one wheel/tire combo that required 6 of the 1/4 oz segments.

I called my mechanic. He told me he put 2 weights on it. I put them back on the spot where I think they fell off from (the freshest tape residue that was only about 2 weights long). Gorilla black duct tape over that. Bike seems to ride fine.