CBR1100XX.org Forum

** SOLVED** Need help quick before I call AAA

everydayrider99

So there was a Hose... inside the gas Tank... that was disconnected.....

Wow.. that is strange.

How the heck did that happen???

That is what I was thinking... when I saw it, I stared at it for a few seconds, and said, "what the fuck?" out loud. Was happy to see a minor issue though. There was a little rust in the tank. I am guessing the rust grew on the the little clamps around the hose attached to the pump and weakened it. Replaced that clamp with a screw clamp. Also, there is no .. well.. nipple, haha nipple, on the tip of the the pump outlet. You know, like a smaller diameter area for the clamp to seat.

2 new small problems:

I think I toasted my battery from cranking so much while trying different things. I nearly killed it the first night, trickled charged overnight, and then proceeded to crank some more in between different trials of what I read from the almighty forums.

2 things were happening at once here - The fuse directly behind the battery is a little loose from me jerking around wires while taking off relays and what not. Everytime I hit a bump the bike cuts out. Mind you guys, I only rode to work today and back, I am not continuing to ride with this problem. On my way home from work I noticed my headlight dimming at lower RPM's, yay battery trouble. The speedo died out a few times(sometimes from bumps and the loose connections, and others from the crap battery). Since my low beams, and high beams are bright, but flicker a little, I am guessing my stator is good but the R/R is on its way out.

I will trickle charge the battery again tomorrow and test the charging system using a battery from another bike, and also fix the connection on the fuse behind the battery.

Now that I know it is at least running with minimum problems, I will take the time to disconnect, clean, and secure all connections.

It feels like a never ending story over the past couple months, but I have put 6000 miles on it since I bought it a year ago... for cheap. I knew it was going to need some work, and am finally running into the various problems I was expecting to encounter.

Alright guys thanks for all your help.

I pulled the tank, pulled the fuel pump, and I found that the tube from out pump outlet was disconnected...HOW?? Put it back on, took off the filter, cleaned the crud out of there with my starting fluid and air pressure.

Put it all back together.... crank it.... NOOTTTHHIINNGG

then I realized I forgot to fill the tank back up with that combustible liquid.

She is up and running.

Again, Thanks.

you know.. I am glad she is back and running. however forgetting to put gas back into the tank to start it.. I can see myself doing that..

I will be holding a wrench and look for 5 minutes walking all around searching for it.. "yep right there in my hand or in my back pocket which I am famous for." :icon_whistle:

Yep and with local shops around me wanting $100 an hour for labor.. you better learn how to turn wrenchs and do it yourself.

Was at the local shop a yr ago and this guy had a honda Rebel that looked like it needed to not sit 6 months a yr.

shop manager told him

Go over and rebuild carbs.. 4 hrs

rear brakes 1 hr

front brakes 2 hrs

not including parts he was going to fork out $700 on a bike worth maybe a grand for a carb job and brake job.. and thought he was getting a fucking deal.. :icon_duh:

I know how you feel about getting caught up in fixing things. I put a new head gasket on my lawnmower a few years back and got all done fires it up and ran it for about 30 secs before I looked at the oil drain plug sitting on the running board. DOH!!!! :icon_redface:

I shut it down and filled with oil and she ran for 2 more years before throwing a rod out the side of the 15 year old motor. :icon_biggrin:

I just laughed and pushed it to the shed...

As for your electrical gremlins I would go over all the connectors while your in there check for corrosion and clean and apply dielectric grease to all.

By the sounds of it though I think your on the right track with the loose connection causing the flickering.

Good luck.