CBR1100XX.org Forum

97 Clutch Problems?

dodge7d

I know there has been many posts on this, but I can't find the fix for it. My 97 XX has a serious clutch grabbing problem, and every once and a while if I put it in gear with the clutch in and rev the engine, the clutch ingages & handle looses its tension. Of course I let go of the throttle, and all returns to normal. It is scary when your at a stop sign, and your bike takes off without you.. :-o :shock:

Thanks for any help...

How many miles? Are you hard on the clutch?

I would start with changeing and bleeding the clutch fluid. Make sure there is no air in the lines.

If not, then your drive plates might be glazed. You'll have to go in and replace the friction and drive plates.

I haven't had any clutch problems on this bike. On my V65 Sabre I changed the clutch due to slipping. I blamed the diaphram spring.

I don't have any direct experience as I've had no clutch issues. By your description what it sounds like is happening is the clutch spring pressure is overcoming the hydraulic force of the clutch master/slave cylinders. First, I would check the fluid level in the resevoir. If it's low, then check for leaks, especially at the slave cylinder. You might get by with simply a thorough flush and refill with fresh fluid. At the worst, you might need a rebuilt or replacement master/slave cylinder.

Sounds like the clutch master cylinder is losing pressure, or there is a leak in the system.

Since you didn't mention any fluid loss, my vote is for the clutch master. You can try bleeding/flushing the hydraulics first, but you may end up replacing the master, or rebuilding it (that is, of course, as long as you can get parts for it).

Hope it helps.

The clutch comes right back when the engine goes to idle. Like nothing ever happened. I don't have to pump the clutch or anything. Its like there is something going on in the clutch basket?

I mostly notice it if I slip the clutch a little, then rev the engine. It will launch like a rocket, and of course I look like an retard in front of everyone...

Like this retard..... http://www.uponone.com/view_download.php?i...=747&vt=1853798

How long have you had the bike?

If it's new to you, then I'd suggest pulling the clutch cover to inspect the clutch. It may be possible that it isn't the stocker anymore, and has been replaced by a dragracing type with centrifugal weights.