CBR1100XX.org Forum

sporadic speedo

ptxyz

hello all,

long time blackbird owner (formerly '97 with yoshi exhaust & jet kit, currently stock 2000) though relativley new to this site. while i might eventually like to find a cherry 2003 (last year here in the u.s.) for my keeper, my current 2000 has been just fine.

tried searching a bit but, only came up with somebody sorting a similar issue on a 'busa...

the speedometer on my 2000 has increasingly stopped working until i'm about halfway through my 10-15 minute commute. it seems to take longer to work when it's colder. when it begins to work, the needle will quickly sweep up to my current speed and then drop back to zero. it always works as normal after about 10-15 minutes.

i've owned this bike for a year or two, perviously it had some crash damage but, didn't start having the speedo problems until a few months ago. i also noticed that a few of the instrument lights on the left side of the cluster don't always work but, will flicker on if i wiggle it.

any ideas?

ps. a goofy pic for your time.

post-59666-1334181391.jpg

off the top of my bald head I would check the main ground connection under the seat and behind the tank. make sure it is clean and tight. Perhaps you have a loose or corroded fuse?

You can get a PDF of the service manual from this thread:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32678

If you look through it (Check the Electrical section) you'll find where the speedometer sensor is, and a whole section on the wiring harness.

Edit: Page 18-12 has a nice picture of where it is...

If you lift the tank, you will find the speedometer sensor located (as I remember) on the right side of the engine block.

It's worth tracing the wires from the speedometer sensor to the main wiring harness, and making sure that the connection is tight and clean.

After that, since you mentioned that you occasionally lose the left side wires, I would pull the wind screen (which should get you access to the wires in the gauges) and make sure that the connections are tight and clean.

As previously eluded to, it's also worthwhile to check the ground, which is located on the riders left side just under where the bolt that holds the tank is.

Typically, if people's gauges are bouncing around, it's a sign of a charging problem, or a low battery. So make sure you've got a full charge on your battery and a working charging system. You can find help on how to check that here:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=53455

thanks for the tips. connection corrosion wouldn't surprise me. when i went to check this bike out, it was outside. i see some corrosion on the cylinder that holds the ignition key...

how anyone can leave a blackbird outside uncovered is beyond me...

i suspect i'm in good company here, in that regard!

thanks for the tips. connection corrosion wouldn't surprise me. when i went to check this bike out, it was outside. i see some corrosion on the cylinder that holds the ignition key...

how anyone can leave a blackbird outside uncovered is beyond me...

i suspect i'm in good company here, in that regard!

While you are at it, take off the seat cowl and check the connector from the R/R to the stator. It should be covered with a rubber boot and has three yellow wires coming from the stator to it. If there is any corrosion in the connector, clean it well and put some dielectric grease in there.