CBR1100XX.org Forum

dual sport tires

Guest cudgel

Putting together a dual sport bike for mostly pavement and whatever dirt roads I can find and am probably going to get a pair of Shinko 244 tires. I've read reviews until I'm dizzy and can't see spending money on pricier stuff if these will give decent service. Most reviews are positive with a common opinion of 'great tire for the money'.

Anybody here got first hand knowledge?

For 90/10 off/on, Dunlop 606 rear and Pirelli MT21 front give the best wear if you have lots of power anda heavy bike. MT21 rear is great if you have a lighter bike.

25/75, Pirelli MT90 Scorpions. 10/90, Avon Distanzias.

The Distanzias last forever, but are scary in mud. The scorps are available in a speed-rated tire. The Dunlop wears like iron, and rides like it too.

What are they going on? Let us know how the Shinkos work out, especially longevity.

For 90/10 off/on, Dunlop 606 rear and Pirelli MT21 front give the best wear if you have lots of power anda heavy bike. MT21 rear is great if you have a lighter bike.

25/75, Pirelli MT90 Scorpions. 10/90, Avon Distanzias.

The Distanzias last forever, but are scary in mud. The scorps are available in a speed-rated tire. The Dunlop wears like iron, and rides like it too.

What are they going on? Let us know how the Shinkos work out, especially longevity.

Thanks for the input. I've read reviews of just about every dualsport tire and, having little or no money to waste, will give the Shinkos a shot. The bike will be an XR600R with a CB450SC engine. Will be lighter than a lot of dualsports and surely not overpowered so I expect decent mileage. If the reviews can be believed, 5000 mi is what I'm looking for as a minimum.

I run that same tire (in Kenda K270 brand) on my DRZ on the rear. I run a full knob on the front. It's a great mix for my riding between street and dirt, longevity on the rear and grip up front.

In mud, the rear is still slicker than snot, but 'good' everywhere else for a true 50/50 tire.

IMG_0483.JPG

I run that same tire (in Kenda K270 brand) on my DRZ on the rear. I run a full knob on the front. It's a great mix for my riding between street and dirt, longevity on the rear and grip up front.

In mud, the rear is still slicker than snot, but 'good' everywhere else for a true 50/50 tire.

IMG_0483.JPG

What does longevity mean in mileage for the Kenda?

What does longevity mean in mileage for the Kenda?

About the same as what your were reading. ~4-5k. Although I've never wore one out. Had a rear on my XRR, same setup as DRZ... only put about 2k miles and tire had 50-60% good.

1989 XR600R chassis with no motor was available cheap. I wanted something with squishy suspension for the crappy roads around here and also to do back road exploring, including dirt roads. I stripped the engine, wiring harness, front brake, etc. from an '86 Nighthawk 450. This twin is not the same as the earlier CB450. This is a single cam, three valve, six speed. If info from internet sources can be believed, this engine makes almost the same horsepower as the XR 600 did although the torque would be way less. Hopefully the extra gear will give decent road performance and the sixth gear is an overdrive with a 1200rpm drop from fifth so the first five may be ok for some off roading and give acceleration for keeping out of the way of traffic while sixth will provide highway travel. I'm looking for reasonable rpm at 60mph for gas mileage and will gear it for top speed of about 100.

I'd like it to be my favorite daily rider for transportation and fun. We'll see in a couple months if it works out.

(Lack of funds prevents buying something already done.)