CBR1100XX.org Forum

41mm FCR Carbs

RedEye

I have A chance to buy a set of these fairly cheap, carbs only (ad says no velocity stacks, air filters, or TPS, came with the guy's 900RR). My questions: would getting these working on an XX be a reasonable project or a money pit/facepalm/killing spree sort of thing . . . and would doing so make any sense whatsoever on a daily driver streetbike?

Parts for them are very expensive and for the small amount of high end horsepower you might gain, you would loose the great street manners of the factory CV carbs.

Check prices on parts at Sudco or Carburater Parts Warehouse.

I wouldn't bother.

Damn you, voice of reason! :icon_naughty: Ah well, probably for the best. I didn't think FCRs would be overly practical, I just wanted some new toys purely for the joy of fucking around with something new. The same guy is selling me a complete Hawk GT SSSA setup, everything from the swinger pivot back for $200 plus shipping.

In my youth I decided I knew better than old man Honda and put 36mm smoothbore Mikunis on my 900F. The rest of the package was Yoshi 4 into 2 racing cans (the exact version used on the AMA racers in 1982) and K&N cone filters. The cams were degreed and the head ported, and it made great power. After about a year of fucking with jetting and being miserable.

When I evenually got it running right it was fantastic. And then it got stolen, and all the money, skinned knuckles and blood put into it was gone - insurance looked at the mods and paid out about 1/2 the book value. I got a stock 900F and KEPT it stock until I bought my XX in 2005.

If you're rich/brave/single/stupid, go for it. :icon_naughty: