CBR1100XX.org Forum

Old member, new problem? FIXED!

G2

Hello,

I have a 2001 XX that I bought new and up untill recently, it has been trouble free.

Here is my issue:

The bike had been sitting for several months without being started with Seafoam as a gas stabilizer and a battery tender. The last few times it was started (cold) it would sputter on 2-3 cylinders then catch on all 4 and run and idle fine. The last time I rode to work, it started just fine both in the morning and afternoon but stalled when sitting and idling at a badge checkpoint. It's never done that. On the way home it started to run poorly at a steady 60 mph but would clear up when accelerating hard. When home, the bike idled poorly and that is the last time it has run. I tried starting it the next day but it sounds like only one cylinder is trying to fire.

Troubleshooting so far:

The fuel pump momentarily runs and shuts off. (nominal)

The bike has spark on all 4 cylinders.

The fuel pressure regulator holds a vacuum.

I pulled the fuel pump and the filter does not appear to be clogged.

I'm getting 9 equal blinks on the FI diagnostic but the resistance and voltages are all in spec there and the IAT sensor shouldn't have this kind effect anyway. (weird)

There is the usual green powdery film as a result of ethanol gas on exposed components but is it enough to clog an injector?

I am kind of wondering what to do next. I was so hoping it was the FPR after doing a search here but the diaphram seems intact. Any and all suggestions as well as bashing is welcome.

Thanks, Greg

Hiya, Greg, how ya been? :icon_wave:

I'd throw some fresh plugs in it. I know you said it has spark, but having spark and having sufficient spark aren't always the same thing. Other than that, I got nothing. I was leaning toward the FPR, but then I read the rest of your post.

• 3 months later...

Long overdue update:

Fixed it! :icon_biggrin: It turned out to be gummed up injectors. I borrowed a friends ultrasonic cleaner (Harbor Freight, quite nice!) and cycled them while in the bath. I didn't remove the individual filters because to do so, you pretty much destroy them and I could not find a rebuild kit. Installed them back into the bike and she fired right up and sounds like she should. I still need to install the airbox before going down the road but I don't suspect any other issues. There were not any ECM codes associated with this problem.

The moral of the story... don't let the bike sit! Hope this helps anyone with a similar prob.

Greg