CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cool HID driving/fog lights

TuffguyF4i

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_i...products_id=243

These are HID projector foglights from a very reputable company. I bought a full bi-xeon conversion kit from them for my eclipse last year, it is super nice...good quality and they stand behind their work. I the 35W kit I have for my car is better than most stock kits on luxury cars you see. I love it.

Thought i would pass this on since $170 for a full projector HID kit with a relay harness seems to be a good deal. I have also heard guys talk about how prohibitive the cost has been on HID driving lights. These seem reasonable. HID's draw much much less energy from your bike once they fire up. For guys running normal fog lights, these could be a good replacement.

It says they are open to group buys...anyone interested? I'm in for a kit. If we get 5+ people i'll talk to them and see if we can get a deal.

There WAS another place to buy slim ballast HID kits at a great price..... and they have since completely changed their web page layout....

But they no longer sell the slim ballast kits...

and they don't sell retro-fit projector lenses either...

Cool and Bummer all at the same time.

Cool that you found the kits....

Bummer that it's twice as much as I payed a year ago.

These are fogs, but they don't seem to have anything comparable to Hella driving lights. What I need is something that will light the road as far ahead as possible, way beyond the normal headlights, without overburdening the alternator. A pencil-beam HID would be ideal but the Hellas are $600+.

Recommendations welcome.

These are fogs, but they don't seem to have anything comparable to Hella driving lights. What I need is something that will light the road as far ahead as possible, way beyond the normal headlights, without overburdening the alternator. A pencil-beam HID would be ideal but the Hellas are $600+.

Recommendations welcome.

HID's will be the only thing needed. Just get over everything else. Nothing will come close.

hidseller on ebay

contact him

Recommendations welcome.

HID's will be the only thing needed. Just get over everything else. Nothing will come close.

hidseller on ebay

contact him

^^ I have that kit and it works marginally compared to a projector kit. By marginal i mean (at best) 40% as good. Yes, better than halogens, but still crappy.

That is NOT what you need. You need projectors to get that light where you want it. Plug and play kits put the light all over the place and blind drivers.

If you buy a 35W or 55W projector HID kit from the seller i listed... you will NOT be disappointed. Best $300 you spent. And that will get you two projectors, wiring harness, bulbs and ballast. And its not chinese shit.

What the world needs is for Hella to make a HID driving light for motorcycles. Their most compact light currently is nearly 6 inches across, which is too big. (It does have an integral ballast built into the housing, which is a big step forward.) If they had a package that was 3-3.5 inches in diameter with a long-distance pencil beam, I have to believe it would sell to a large number of motorcycle riders.

The HID ballasts look the same as what can be had from DDMTuning.com. Wonder if you could buy the projectors form your guy and the lights from DDM (after verifying model of lamp, H4, H7, whatever). Might save some change there.

What the world needs is for Hella to make a HID driving light for motorcycles. Their most compact light currently is nearly 6 inches across, which is too big. (It does have an integral ballast built into the housing, which is a big step forward.) If they had a package that was 3-3.5 inches in diameter with a long-distance pencil beam, I have to believe it would sell to a large number of motorcycle riders.

Dude,,what i posted can be mounted to anything. It is a self contained package.

If hella makes it, it will be $500+.

Dude,,what i posted can be mounted to anything. It is a self contained package.

If hella makes it, it will be $500+.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but you seem to have missed my original point. The light pattern of fog lamps is low, wide and short. I want the opposite - narrow and a long way down the road.

I will grant that the lamps you linked seem to have proper projector design for the bulb, unlike the bulb&ballast retrofits one finds on fleabay.

The current Hella 4000CI lamps illuminate beyond 500 meters with a road-width beam. But they are 17cm wide which is too big to fit well on a bike. This is the sort of thing I want to see in a more compact format.

The HID ballasts look the same as what can be had from DDMTuning.com. Wonder if you could buy the projectors form your guy and the lights from DDM (after verifying model of lamp, H4, H7, whatever). Might save some change there.

Scroll up and read my post above....

or-

Go look at the DDM website for yourself.

DDM no longer sells Slim Ballast kits,

The same Motorcycle kits they sold last year,

nor do they sell projector beam housing kits....

Bummer, if you ask me, because they were so cheap, cost wise, it was cool, even if they didn't last, etc.

OH well....

Scroll up and read my post above....

or-

Go look at the DDM website for yourself.

DDM no longer sells Slim Ballast kits,

The same Motorcycle kits they sold last year,

nor do they sell projector beam housing kits....

Bummer, if you ask me, because they were so cheap, cost wise, it was cool, even if they didn't last, etc.

OH well....

Crap, sorry to see that. As long as the lamp is the same, should be able to fit a kit even it it's a bit bigger.

Have their slim ballasts on the bike and the truck. 1 truck ballast failed and was replaced w/no probs. Love DDM.

They are local to me. If anyone cares, I can ride over and chat them up.

Crap, sorry to see that. As long as the lamp is the same, should be able to fit a kit even it it's a bit bigger.

Have their slim ballasts on the bike and the truck. 1 truck ballast failed and was replaced w/no probs. Love DDM.

They are local to me. If anyone cares, I can ride over and chat them up.

Well I just went and looked again... and there website shows..... NOTHING....

NO ballasts...

No Bulbs...

NO shit!

So I called them..... waited on hold for 10-15minutes... and then finally get told there is nothing on the website because they are completely out of stock.

Asked the guy when they were going to get some back in..... and His answer was, " Well, just keep checking back on our website."

Sounds strange to me..... Normally when something is out of stock, they put those words next to it.... to show that they are still carrying the item, and will take new orders when they have more inventory.

I have to admit.... I got no Reassurance talking with them. Which makes me think..... maybe instead of sending anybody else to them in the future.... ummm ya.... No!