CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cogent Dynamics fully adjustable/25mm cartridge fork conversion

Just got off the phone with Rick at Cogent Dynamics and he said he did a complete fork conversion for a Blackbird back in October. He mentioned the customer was a forum member.

Besides having 25mm cartridges, it also has externally adjustable compression and rebound dampening, as well as spring preload. Just curious who it was and what your impressions were...Hank

Just got off the phone with Rick at Cogent Dynamics and he said he did a complete fork conversion for a Blackbird back in October. He mentioned the customer was a forum member.

Besides having 25mm cartridges, it also has externally adjustable compression and rebound dampening, as well as spring preload. Just curious who it was and what your impressions were...Hank

It is I!

I installed it but didn't have a chance to ride, even once, before pickling the XX and heading south for the winter.

I PMed you with questions before doing this conversion. Never heard back you.

Bob

It is I!

I installed it but didn't have a chance to ride, even once, before pickling the XX and heading south for the winter.

Bob

Bob, I gotta plead ignorance...I never saw a PM from you.

Sorry about that as I would have been happy to lend whatever insight I could.

Please get in touch when you get back home and start riding again.

Where's home for you anyhow?

Hank

It is I!

Bob

Bob, I gotta plead ignorance...I never saw a PM from you.

Sorry about that as I would have been happy to lend whatever insight I could.

Please get in touch when you get back home and start riding again.

Where's home for you anyhow?

Hank

I really don't know. I am always traveling. NV, AZ, WI, MN?

HANKSXXX Looks like you got this in the wrong forum.

How the hell did I screw that up?

Meant to put this in the Garage...

Mods, feel free to move this to the proper location. Sorry !

It is I!

Bob

Bob, I checked my inbox back to mid July...nothing from you. Dunno what happened but I never got any message.

Hank

HANKSXXX Looks like you got this in the wrong forum.

How the hell did I screw that up?

Meant to put this in the Garage...

Mods, feel free to move this to the proper location. Sorry !

It is I!

Bob

Bob, I checked my inbox back to mid July...nothing from you. Dunno what happened but I never got any message.

Hank

Don't know, it is all good.

I set my bike up with input from Rick and information on your suspension plus what I wanted in a suspension. The test will be this spring when I ride the XX. I wanted as much adjustability as possible in suspension. When spending money it is better to pay a little more and get what you really want. When I bought my Penske from Rick, he tried to talk me into buying the double adjustment shock not a triple adjuster rear shock. I held fast feeling that paying more initially would save me money, not having to buy another rear shock, plus the adjustability of the Penske 8987 was well worth the extra funding. I don't regret paying for the adjustability of the Penske Triple Adjuster.

I agree completely...

I tried the Penske 8983 (double adj) first and then went to the 8987 (triple adj).

Having ridden them back to back, I prefer the triple, although I'd be hard pressed to explain why. Same deal with the front...3 different sets of valves and 4 or 5 different sets of springs.

What really brought it all together was having Rick go over everything and the make the final adjustments by using the shock/fork dyno. Matching the rebound with the compression made a lot of difference on the forks and the dyno made it easy.

I wanted to try the 25mm conversion in the worst way but also wanted Ricks fork caps and that's where it ended. He wasn't ordering any for a while and the caps he had in stock were the wrong thread. After having an entire front end sitting at his shop for a year and him not getting to the point of reordering the caps, I decided what I had was just fine and to keep riding it.

I really am interested in the first ride report...

I agree completely...

I tried the Penske 8983 (double adj) first and then went to the 8987 (triple adj).

Having ridden them back to back, I prefer the triple, although I'd be hard pressed to explain why. Same deal with the front...3 different sets of valves and 4 or 5 different sets of springs.

What really brought it all together was having Rick go over everything and the make the final adjustments by using the shock/fork dyno. Matching the rebound with the compression made a lot of difference on the forks and the dyno made it easy.

I wanted to try the 25mm conversion in the worst way but also wanted Ricks fork caps and that's where it ended. He wasn't ordering any for a while and the caps he had in stock were the wrong thread. After having an entire front end sitting at his shop for a year and him not getting to the point of reordering the caps, I decided what I had was just fine and to keep riding it.

I really am interested in the first ride report...

The adjustables caps are from Traxxion Dynamics.