CBR1100XX.org Forum

New rider with chain questions

ffphil

Slightly off topic but can I use a 120 link chain without cutting it (by sliding the swingarm back)?

No, not unless you install a ghetto deluxe extended swingarm.

Slightly off topic but can I use a 120 link chain without cutting it (by sliding the swingarm back)?

Thanks, I was just curious...the ghetto-arm is not my style!

Bob,

110 is the correct length.

If cutting and riveting is a issue, let me know. GEISME3 ( Bill) has outlaws in Palm Coast. We work and ride together. I could get a chain tool down that way some weekend.

Bob,

110 is the correct length.

If cutting and riveting is a issue, let me know. GEISME3 ( Bill) has outlaws in Palm Coast. We work and ride together. I could get a chain tool down that way some weekend.

Very cool and thanks for the offer! I have a new chain and sprocket that I picked up in the past but my stock chain still seems fine (just under 18k miles) for now but I think I'll have to replace them all sooner than later. Happy New Year everyone...Bob Z.

• 2 months later...

Here's another vote for the EK ZZZ. I had one on my XX and the only time I adjusted it was during tire changes. I will buy EK again when I need a new chain. I like the spacer to prevent over crimping too.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a dual-injector Scottoiler so my chains last a really long time. My current chain is a D.I.D. 530 ZVM2 and when I installed it, I also installed new front and rear Honda OEM sprockets. After 23, 600 miles of use, there is no visible wear on the sprockets or the chain and the only adjustments have been when I had the rear wheel off to replace the tires on three occasions.

• 1 month later...
A slight change in direction but has anyone used a Regina chain? I found they make a kit with chain, sprockets links and all. easy to order.

I used to use Regina when I had a MX bike years ago and they were OK, but a few people have said for large road bikes the DID or EK are better :icon_confused:

I use a dual-injector Scottoiler so my chains last a really long time. My current chain is a D.I.D. 530 ZVM2 and when I installed it, I also installed new front and rear Honda OEM sprockets. After 23, 600 miles of use, there is no visible wear on the sprockets or the chain and the only adjustments have been when I had the rear wheel off to replace the tires on three occasions.

Yeah I've had a single nozzle SO for as long as I've had this chain/sprockets and I think from memory I've only adjusted the chain twice other than when tyres go on and they were like 1/2 a turn :icon_surprised: Fuck all stretch or wear so far on my Stealth/DID combo :icon_biggrin: