CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hard luggage and high mount exhaust

bartonmd

Does anybody know if the Givi hard luggage can be used with the Staintunes high mount exhaust (among others)? I ask because my fiance is 5'11" tall and on my '85 CB700SC, her knees are up against her chest. I am looking at a XX to add to the stable, but will need to mount the high mount exhaust and make lower foot pegs for her to be comfortable (and therefore go with me on all day rides, therefore not complaining about me not being home). A friend has a XX which we have ridden and she has the same problem as my Nighthawk S. If this doesnt work, I'm going to have to get a new VFR, which is, by almost all accounts, a good bike, but no grunt. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I dont think it would work with stock givi mounts but you may be able to make something up. If the high pipe is on the same verticle plane as the stock pipe the mounts would have to very wide to clear it. If you can fit

the bagsto a place in space with the pipe you want to use, mounts can be made. I have a custom set 95% done built from pics of the 5 star

mounts but i cant really see where the high pipe would fit, Im using my stock exhaust still . You need 30 or 40 mm clearance so you dont melt the bags.

the high mount exhaust as seen in the page of this website with the frame sliders looks as if the pipes are almost completely under the tail plastic, so I am thinking it might fit ok as the stock Givi luggage looks as if it sits out a bit from the bike. The Staintunes are also quite a bit thinner laterally than the stock pipes. Anybody have this system?

Hi,

the distance between the frames (L & R) of the Wingrack is 17.5 in. You probably could use spacers to make it 18". The rack mounts to the passenger footpeg/pipe mount, so it has to stay !

So what's the distance from the outside of the left pipe to the outside of the right pipe ?

Cheers,

Thank you for the measurements on the rack!

From the pictures that I have seen on this site (namely in the "Frame Sliders" section of "Product Reviews"), it looks as if the pipes are inside the peg mounts, and it may work.

I hadnt planned on taking off the passenger peg mounts, I was planning on making some 3 or 4" drops that mount to where the pegs are now and have the pegs on the end of them.

they looked like staintunes and they make high mount stuff, but if MIG is the one that makes them, that's probably it. I have looked all over to find another picture of those pipes and the closest thing I could find was staintunes.

I cant put a link on here because www.cbr1100xx.org uses frames and wherever you go, the taskbar shows the same url. It can be found on this site where I said in the last post.

Thanks guys, I still want a XX, and will probably make it work. After I pick up a XX, I'll probably end up getting a couple tall, thin cans (like staintunes or something) and making my own mandrel bent tubing to fit. It'll look ok because at the place that I work, we do our own chroming, and they let Engineering do whatever we want. Another guy had them chrome some small pieces for his project car so It should be ok. I'll let you know when all of this goes down. Thanks again!