CBR1100XX.org Forum

900rr rear shock

mrhappy

hey all, i have run searches and to no avail, i must now ask. i just bought a 900rr rear shock from a member on this board and was wondering, i am 210lbs and usually carry 30ish lbs including bags, will the current spring(on the rr shock) be ok or do i need to swap it out with the oem spring or just buy a heavier one. and are there any suggestions on who to buy it from or is the rr shock that much better or should i just leave it alone, bike has only 20k on it and there are no issues with the current setup. i preffer the ride a little on the stiff side, thank you in advance!

If it's the original 900RR spring, it's waaay too light for the XX, especially with a heavier rider. Go to Race Tech's website and use their spring rate calculator to see what you'll need.

That said, the valving is going to be miles off once you put that shock on a much heavier bike with a much heavier spring...but that's a different discussion, I suppose.

Go to Race Tech's website and use their spring rate calculator to see what you'll need.

Race Tech's Calculator will tell you you need a 18 Kg spring, 9" long, for a 210 rider, with the stock shock,................. which has been discontinued by all the manufactures that I could find.

Now does that mean you need a 18Kg spring for that shock.... I don't know.

I would think so.... since you'll be using the XX's linkage geometry.

Go to Race Tech's website and use their spring rate calculator to see what you'll need.

Race Tech's Calculator will tell you you need a 18 Kg spring, 9" long, for a 210 rider, with the stock shock,................. which has been discontinued by all the manufactures that I could find.

Now does that mean you need a 18Kg spring for that shock.... I don't know.

I would think so.... since you'll be using the XX's linkage geometry.

+1 for Racetech :icon_wink:

I have had a 900RR shock in mine for ~4 years (~70 000km's) and I put an 1100lb Eibach spring on it for my weight (~300lb's :icon_redface: ), I didn't get the valving changed and it did OK :icon_think: The stock spring is quite a bit longer than the RR one and isn't tapered at one end like the RR so cannot be swapped over, you will need a small (~13mm/1/2'') spacer collar made up for the Eibach spring as it isn't quite long enough or tapered like the stocker :icon_surprised:

When I did mine from memory the RR and the stock shock came up with slightly different figures when I tried both bikes in the calculator so I went midway between them :icon_wink:

I am looking at getting it re-gassed at the moment and maybe getting the valving changed as well as I feel it has started to get a bit of a wallow up on some larger bumps and lumps in the road, especially at speed :icon_eek: Not as good as having an Öhlins Öhlins/Penske etc but then $460AUD is a lot cheaper than $1500AUD :icon_eek::icon_eek: